What's your favorite generation of Pokémon?

What's your favorite generation of Pokemon?

• Total voters

Matthew

Tech Enthusiast
Time Zone
Central
This is a spinoff of the "What's your favorite Pokemon?" thread.

My favorite generation is Gen 4. In my opinion, the new pokemon designs were the best. You can't deny the awesomeness of Pokemon like Infernape, Starapter, Roserade, Gallade, Garchomp, Lucario, Drapion, and Toxicroak. I also think Gen 4 had some of the last great starters in the Pokemon Franchise (Greninja is alright tho). It probably also helps that I grew up with Gen 4.

The Pokemon in the generations following have been on the decline in terms of quality, and outright of absurdness of some of them: Garbador, Klefki, Guzzlord, etc...

So what's your favorite generation?

Last edited:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Gen 5 for sure. I grew up with it and love it to this day. The music, story, and post game of both sets of games really stand out to me.

The new designs were daring and interesting as well.

Biohazard

The Dark Serpent
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wiktoria
Time Zone
UTC +2
Gen 3 Master Race.

Last edited:

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Gen 4 is my favorite gen of all time. First game was Diamond, loved the story, the difficulty, and the anime was cool too. Never can recapture that magic (although Gen 3 is a close second).

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
A tie between gen 2 and gen 5. Johto is my favorite region and I just love the Unova games so much.

Space

Beginner Trainer
AKA
SpaceRM
My favorite is Gen 4, my first Pokémon game was Diamond, which was one of the games i grew with. I have lots of great memories with my Empoleon and Dragonite, and battling/trading with friends. I remember how much of a hard achievement was to catch other legendaries such as Giratina or Azelf back there, (which is actually pretty easy :lolazurill:) now i soft reset for shinys on ORAS and nostalgically realize how fast the time past.

Dialga is for sure my favorite legendary pokémon :coolazurill:, OST from gen 4 is A M A Z I N G :whistleazurill: Just hearing the Pokémon League theme makes me wanna play the whole game again. (I played Platinum from zero one year ago, maybe it's time to play Diamond again haha)

Ralsei

Prince of Darkness
Time Zone
EST (UTC-5)
5. it has n.

the music is some of the best in the series i think, some that come to mind are nimbasa, the rival battle music, and iris' championship battle music.

i also find it really interesting how the region changes depending on the game you're playing: opelucid could be futuristic or ancient, the post-game unlock could be a forest or a city, and even the gyms (and their leaders) themselves can change. pretty cool.

oh also, oshawott and lillipup.

Last edited:

Flo

Seventh Siren
Time Zone
BST
gen 4 is the right answer

Vulture

that guy, you know
It's a real toss-up between 4 and 5 for me- I started with 4 and still love it, but I just played so much of Gen 5 when I was younger.

~Kilza~

The Setting Sun
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
It's easily Gen 4. It has the best games in the series in HGSS, and DPPt are really solid as well.

smoky

in my head
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i wasn't even born yet, but no doubt, gen 2. it's just so old but so new at the same time i love it

close second is gen 5 bw2 was my **** when i was younger

DragonAirazel

Music Maestro
AKA
Airazel
Time Zone
EST (UTC -5)
I started with Generation 3, and it was a fine introduction. The Pokémon were neat, the story was passable, and Emerald was my favorite for the longest time. With the addition of Blue Rescue Team, Colosseum, Gale of Darkness, and Pinball R&S, this was also the generation I've had the most experience with side games as well.

I admittedly don't have any connection with Sinnoh, as I've never played it; but HG/SS were both pretty great, albeit extremely slow (in both pacing and movement speed).

Generation 5 has my absolute favorite storyline and characters, and the music tend to be in my lists of favorites too. Post game was fun, mechanics were getting to their best, and the urban world was kinda fun. However, outside of a few setpieces, the routes weren't as distinct as they could've been; for every amazing Pokémon design, there was a boring one that seemed to be nothing more than a parallel to something from Gen 1.

Generation 6 had better visual appeal than Gen 5, but the story and characters took a nosedive. Which is a shame, because there's so much in X/Y that I wanted to like, like how a prominent member of the antagonist team was a member of the Elite 4 and in charge of the media. If they had thought to use things like that in a meaningful way, then this game could have been amazing. OR/AS suffered from this as well, though they did serve as decent upgrades from the middling R/S.

Generation 7 was so close to recapturing the story and character interactions that I loved in Gen 5, but it came short in too many ways. US/UM made Hau my absolute favorite rival, but that wasn't enough to push it over.

Ultimately, my favorite is Generation 5. If B/W were alone, then it'd have been a toss-up between it and S/M, but B2/W2 not only provided more chances for amazing new characters (Colress especially), it showed how some older characters have evolved (Cheren, Bianca, N, Ghetsis, et cetera). I think the biggest thing that Generation 5 did that no other generation managed to do was this: they made me care about the gym leaders. Heck, they made me care about so many of the characters. Though the region lacked visual appeal in some areas, the whole place felt ALIVE. And honestly, I appreciate that more than I currently have the patience to type out right now. Combine that with a neat story, meaningful character arcs, tricky battles, amazing music, and lots of postgame content… Yeah, Generation 5 is my favorite.

Arceus

Prismatic Trainer
AKA
James, Chandelure
Time Zone
EST
I'm contractually obligated to stan Gen 4 forever. Gens 5 and 7 also have valid claim, but Gen 4 has an unstoppable, incorruptible nostalgia.

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
I personally think Gen 2 wouldn’t really be anyone’s favorite region if Kanto wasn’t attached to it. It’s a really weak region on its own. And quite a bit of Gen 2 Pokémon (especially before they got evos) sucked so bad. And the story was weak.

Now, I don’t dislike Gen 2. It isn’t as bad imo as Gen 6. Gen 6 has no replay value in my eyes. Gen 2 just could have been a bit better all around.

Last edited:

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
interesting comments =J

Well my favorite generation is 4 because I am in love with Platinum (Diamond and Pearl are so slow but hey I love them as a kid), Heartgold/Soulsilver, and the Mystery Dungeon: Explorers series. Explorers of Sky is my favorite game ever but Ptt, HG, and SS all come very close too.

Generation 4 was also such a huge step forward for pokemon. wifi connectivity, physical/special split, amazing pokemon designs, it brought us so much. and it brought us together in more ways than any game before.

Gen 1: This is where everything started so it's hard to criticize it now. It's quite rough and the story and region are relatively bland, sure, but it's Pokemon's roots, and hey those wild glitches were ridiculously fun.
Gen 2: Ok as much as i like johto and LOVE crystal, i can see why this gen isn't exactly topping many people's lists...
Gen 3: I think gen 3 didn't add too much, and is probably the most awkward gen to replay these days.
Gen 4: my crush
Gen 5: i LOVE gen 5, very unique generation that really feels like it stuck to its guns and still delivered an incredible overall experience
Gen 6: XY are some of my favorite pokemon games while ORAS are some of my least favorite. xy was super ambitious and the region is absolutely gorgeous. With the beautiful region and the attention to detail they put into it, and also the huge pokemon selection, it's one of the most replayable for me. i know the postgame sucks but it was plenty for me, i loved the looker quest and discovering all the region had to offer, and of course it was when i got WAY into breeding so I logged over a thousand hours on those games. oras just disappointed me i wont talk about dat.
Gen 7: sun&moon's story was a refreshing change of pace, which was the one stand out thing for it, and then ultra kinda messed that up. i am overall displeased with gen 7.

just my opinions tho sips t

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
I loved the designs from generation 4! So many of my favourite Pokemon are from that generation. Though I voted for generation 7 since I think they really stepped up their designs. Quality over quantity, for sure.

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
I just love Gen4. I'm always going to be a fan of the pixel art style and it just has a classic look to it that doesn't feel minimal or overdone.

ultimate-dirano

Narutard
AKA
Dirano
Time Zone
Eastern Time
Gen III has a lot of nostalgia for me, but ultimately I preferred Gen V. The story of Black and White really got to me and I actually cared about the rival characters (Bianca is someone I can strongly relate to and Unwavering Emotions is my favorite Pokémon OST to this date).

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
I feel it's a tie between Gen VI and Gen III for me.

Had a bunch of memories with both, a bit more so Gen III because Ruby was the first Pokemon game I've owned, but IV was by far the most fun I've ever really had in a Pokemon main series game.