What's your favorite generation of Pokémon?

What's your favorite generation of Pokemon?

• Total voters

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I adore everything about Generation 5. B/W had by far the greatest story and emotional appeal, but B2/W2 have the best gameplay out of all the main series games. So much to do, so much content..... it's just great.

Generation 4 is a close second, with HG/SS and Platinum pulling weight as great games as well. After that I'd probably go with Gen 7, I really enjoyed Alola and the way things were done in the games.

Penumbra

The Devil's Advocate
AKA
Pen, Penu, Penny
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4313-6127-3959
Gen 3 is the one that piqued my interest in Pokemon and the Gen I'm most familiar with, but Soul Silver is actually my favorite Pokemon game of all time. For this poll, I'll go with Gen 3 as a whole, also I also love Gen 4 because of SS and Platinum.

DriftyAlison0

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Central Time Zone
3DS FC
3024-8099-0491
IGN
Drifty
My most favorite Gen so far is 7 but I also enjoyed Gens 4,5 and 6. My least favorite has to be Gen 3.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
This is easily Gen 5. I remember how different and refreshing Black and White felt when they first came out, and they really sucked me into the story unlike any Pokemon game had before. The sequels were such a unique concept as well, and they've really grown on me even though they didn't suck me in quite as easily as BW themselves did. It's always a pleasure to play through the Unova games, and I won't be surprised if they're forever my favorites.

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Gen 3 is the one that piqued my interest in Pokemon and the Gen I'm most familiar with, but Soul Silver is actually my favorite Pokemon game of all time. For this poll, I'll go with Gen 3 as a whole, also I also love Gen 4 because of SS and Platinum.
good taste

mr-mooster

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Brennan
For me, it’s a toss up between gens 3 and 5.

Gen 3 was my first generation. I played those games so much, I have them memorized.

However, I love Gen 5 more because of the story and music. I love story-focused games and Gen 5 did a great job making Pokémon more story-oriented. I also like a lot of the gen 5 Pokémon.

Out of the others, it’s hard to rank them. I like HGSS more than DPPt. I don’t like ORAS, but XY are really enjoyable. They are really replayable with the large Pokédex. Gen 7 was fun, but replays are a pain in the neck. Gens 1 and 2 are also a pain with bad movesets.

Pentatope

The Paradoxical Plant Person
Time Zone
PDT
My favorite Pokemon generation is definitely Generation V.

That was the generation that introduced me to the gaming-side of Pokemon. Generation Five was the first game, I knew existed and ironically I loved the death out of the generation. The Pokemon, the music and the nostalgia (maybe just for me). Pokemon Black and White were iffy, but what eats the cake is most definitely Black 2 and White 2. Generation 5 will forever be my favorite.

I did love XY, Ultra Sun and Moon and all of generation four.

Franciscosta

Communist Duck
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Gen 3, exclusively because of nostalgia. I like the other generation but in the end the third generation is the one I played the most and the one I seem to get back to the most.

Screem

Sir Premium
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
+8 GMT
Switch FC
SW-4503-9262-0045
Generation 2 for me because it was the generation that started to introduce different ways of playing the game, such as introducing shiny Pokemon and therefore shiny hunters were born. It was also the first generation to feature a female playable character which I love because Kris is blue and blue is best.

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
It's funny how many people really hated gen5 when it was a thing and now regard it as one of the best if not the best.

Gen5 literally kicked butt with how amazing the games were overall. Amazing presentation of dialogue, great story, wonderfully animated battles (that are fast for once), top-notch soundtrack... A lot of good things. Heck, even if the place was saturated with a ton of legendaries, they were given a fair bit of in-game lore to them. Even the mythicals has something in game, which unfortunately is very lacking.

It's not perfect tho. Cheren and Bianca are forgettable and the region itself feels very small. And well... While I don't judge regions by Pokemon, many of them didn't leave me a lasting impression.

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Generation V for me. LOTS of Pokémon I really like, and BW has its deep story and the famous final battles with N and Ghetsis. And then you have B2W2 which has lots of solid content and involvement. I always liked exploring Unova and the villainous team was one that was a different approach (at least to start). These games always give me something to look forward to when playing them.

Dex

Certified Animal Lover
Gen 4 was my first and favourite generation. Most of my favourite pokemon come from gen 4, including Empoleon and Luxray. It had the best set of starters and legendaries and the story/gameplay was pretty cool. But I guess most of why I like it the most is the nostalgia.

twiggysnake

Rocket Executive
AKA
stardacat, Fancy
Time Zone
Eastern Standard Time
IGN
Fancy
I love gen 4, turtwig is my fave pokemon, and platinum is the best version ever!

thexuberant1

Beginner Trainer
Gen 4 is my favorite. I loved the innovative WiFi features like the GTS and the use of the DS touchscreen. Also, Platinum and HG/SS are awesome!

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Ugh. I'm struggling to decide, because thinking about it, I keep finding reasons to criticise each generation I think is my favourite. But I'm going with 6th Gen.

XY was a real graphical leap for the series, as you'd expect being on a new console, and I think Game Freak did a good job of it. It's not just a pretty face either, XY are such rich games. I appreciate the huge variety of Pokemon in Kalos, the easy online matchmaking, EVs being exposed and a new way to train them in Super Training, getting to change my character's clothes for fun and fashion, the AZ subplot and the Looker Sidequest, and so much more.

Then ORAS came along. I had a soft spot for Emerald and seeing Hoenn remade was nice, and the Zinnia plot is a nice addition and she gets a great battle theme.

It's not all good. I detested, and still dislike, the Fairy type. And I think Mega Evolutions were a huge missed opportunity, they were a chance to give weaker Pokemon a new lease of life but instead Game Freak just gave Megas to a bunch of already hugely powerful Pokemon. And ORAS handing a Lati on a plate is dumbing it down too much. But these are small gripes compared to the positives.

6th Gen also gave us Super Mystery Dungeon. I don't think it's the best Mystery Dungeon game, the enema mechanics are an overcomplication, but at least it has all the Pokemon unlike Gates to Infinity. And it gave us an Aboriginal and Irish fusion on the soundtrack!

I was going to go with 4th Gen, because HGSS and Mystery Dungeon Explorers are really great. But then I remembered 4th Gen introduced Arceus-damned Stealth Rock and gave it to everymon and their mother, totally ruining things competitively for a whole bunch of Pokemon. Also DPPt were pretty average.

PS: Johto, in both its incarnations, probably is my favourite region and definitely has my favourite main-series soundtrack. But 2nd Gen didn't have much else, while 4th Gen's sin I've mentioned. As for 5th Gen, there's a lot to like, but dang did Game Freak do a lousy job of the Pokemon animations, they're so ugly, the static crisp sprites of Gen 4 were much better.

Last edited:

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i love all generations for different reasons, so i think this is a difficult question to answer! I love gen 1 cause a lot of the pokemon of this generation are favourites of mine (plus nostalgia of the anime), then I love gen 3 cause that's when i really started playing pokemon, gen 4 games were ones that i played a LOT and it's when i found out there are people online that love pokemon as much as i do, gen 6 was when i caught up and started playing pokemon after a break i took, and then gen 7 is the only game i fully experienced from the start, so it has a very special place in my heart and i love it

Last edited:

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
My favorite generation is easily the 5th generation cause it's what really got me into Pokemon more than any game. Everything about it seemed to be tuned perfectly for an experience that I couldn't forget about. In all fairness I've only played gen 3, 4, 5 and 6 to it's entirety and only half of 7th so without the knowledge of how the 1st gen was I can't really justify my love for gen 5 over 1. But the entirely different region, entirely different array of Pokemon to catch and be fond of. This generation was just the definitive Pokemon experience in my head. Generation 4 and 3 are at a tie for second and currently 7th is my least favorite rip

Mazerakuh

Junior Trainer
I have played every Generation since the first one, and my favourite is definitely the fifth. I think Unima as a region has a lot of interesting stuff, indisputable beautiful locations (look at all those bridges to make an example), a wonderful atmosphere all around, a wide variety of Pokémon in the wild, some of the best characters of the whole Pokémon series and plenty of amazing soundtracks (it definitely has my favourite ones out of any other Pokémon region).

In other words, the Unima region has literally drowned me with its beauty.

neoratz

i wish squids were real
AKA
Katey
Time Zone
EST
i'm happy so many other people like gen 4 and 5 as those are my top favorites!!!! it might be partially because of nostalgia since pearl was the first game i played and BW were the first games to come out after i got into pokemon, but i do think they're genuinely really good and fun entries :o! i would love to see them remade someday :yayazurill: