Discussion What's your favourite digital art program?

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
For all digital artists, what's your favourite digital art program to use? Which ones would you recommend?

Photoshop is objectively the best all around digital program. But Procreate on the iPad Pro is incredible for drawing, it's almost exactly like drawing on paper.

I've also used Clip Studio Paint, GIMP, FireAlpaca, Krita and Paint Tool SAI. Clip Studio Paint I got at a discount, which happens pretty often so it was well worth the price. Krita is amazing for a free software. Paint Tool SAI felt like an upgraded MS paint, it was only okay for me.

What about you guys?

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
I only really have experience with GIMP, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Photoshop is my favorite of the three probably because it just feels the most intuitive to me. GIMP is a discount Photoshop with tougher controls and slightly fewer capabilities.

I've gotten more familiar with Illustrator because of my design class - we have to make a lot of stuff from scratch rather than from existing images. It's a lot nicer for shapes/vectors and doesn't lose quality when resizing, but I'm still not too comfortable with the controls.

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
OpenCanvas6 is a lovely program to use for drawing imo. It's a bit on the pricey side, however.

SarasaKat

bibb pretty
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kat
Time Zone
EST
I'm also on the Adobe train. I feel like Illy has some untapped potential for sig making that I may dip into here at some point soon? Like making a simpler version of another image and use other simple shapes to make a very simple but clean feeling sig.

But yeah, Photoshop is bae, Illustrator is also decent

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
Hmm I just use Photoshop for almost everything I do, but Illustrator definitely has its place. It's the better choice for certain things but I don't like using it nearly as much.

I rly didn't like GIMP, it felt incredibly unintuitive, I had to keep googling how to do everything and even then it just wouldn't stick. But it's still a great program simply because it has those options at all and is free.

Years ago, I used to use Paint.net, and that was alright. I used it to draw my little avatars way back in like 2013 if anyone remembers that. It was ok for simple stuff, and it was also free which is why I used it.

I've heard a lot of praise for Paint Tool Sai, I've heard of a lot of digital artists who use it. I think I tried it once and it didn't make sense to me, but I didn't try that hard to figure it out lol.

Rydia

ΦωΦ
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Unyielding Wings
AKA
Brian
Time Zone
PST
Paint Tool Sai for lineart and Photoshop for painting all the way. Paint Tool Sai has that REALLY nice line stabilizer, which makes sketching and lineart just so much more convenient, while also having a type of layer called lineart (?) layer where any lines you draw can be readjusted by holding CTRL. After I'm done with any lineart, I'll bring it over to Photoshop and do my painting on there. I'm not super familiar with Sai for painting, so I use Photoshop, since I have my custom brushes for coloring and then blending on there.

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
gimp because i'm broke and can't afford photoshop

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
GIMP works for me for when I make signatures and whatnot, but I especially love the tools it gives me for spriting like layers and a robust color selector. I barely use MS Paint anymore for my pixel art projects.

(Even my purposely bad ones XD)

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
I mostly use photoshop because it’s inlcuded in my tuition and I love the brush collection I’ve got so far. I’ve never used paint tool sai or csp but I’ve heard good things about both. I tried krita once and didn’t bother with it bc I have ps so i didn’t really need to learn a new painting software. I’m not a big painter anyways. Also tried gimp and hated it immediately.
I used to use autodesk sketchbook and firealpaca/MediBang and those worked pretty well until I got photoshop. They’re both free so I’d recommend them as drawing software.

I’ve used illustrator for design stuff and I definitely prefer it over photoshop in that aspect. I’ve never used it to draw, but I don’t think that’s what it’s meant for anyways lol

I’ve also used maya for 3D modelling and it takes a heck of a lot of getting used to but it’s kinda fun.

Penumbra

The Devil's Advocate
AKA
Pen, Penu, Penny
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4313-6127-3959
I got a copy of Paintool SAI before I realized my pen touch sensitivity on my tablet was shot, and now I don't know how to fix it. The tablet I use is close to 10 years old, so I might need a new upgrade anyway.

I use GIMP for graphics and photo manips, and it does a pretty nice job.

I use Autodesk Sketchbook to doodle on my phone, which actually produces some nice results for a simplistic and free app.

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
Paint Tool SAI is my go-to drawing and painting program. I don't necessarily use the program to it's full capabilities, but does enough for me to make decent art. xP

I also use GIMP, but mostly to retouch and filter pictures rather than drawing.

Runaiic

Beginner Trainer
MSPaint. It gets most of my pixel art stuff done.
Other than that I use Paint.NET, and if I want to draw, FireAlpaca.

edit: hope this doesnt count as necro-ing.