Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
So there are 3 main computer operating systems out there. Windows, MacOS and Linux. Which one do you run on your computer? Would you switch to another OS if given the chance?

Personally, I've almost always used Windows as my OS. Both my current laptop and my work computer run Windows 10. tbh I've always been happy with Windows and don't really foresee that changing. I have a VM for Linux (Ubuntu) that I used heavily when I went to university for assignments, but admittedly I haven't touched it since graduating so rip.

Rubad Ubdub

Pokemon GO delete this post
AKA
nus3bank, bncrock, BHDude
Time Zone
US Mountain Time
I run Windows on every computer I own. I game on PC a lot and Windows 10 is easily the best for that. However, I do dabble with Debian and Fedora distros with VM and have thought about a dual boot on my desktop, but other than for specific programs or testing things out I don't have a huge need for Linux or Mac. However, I love retro tech, and I've set up VMs for Windows 95/8/2000 and Mac OS 8 just to mess around with. OS X is easily my least interested in OS, though. It always felt super limiting and lacked a bunch of the features and community support found on Windows. It's GUI is clean and as a workstation OS it's pretty decent but you also have to own a Mac to use it which is a big no no (unless you do some hackintosh stuff).

Oh wait, I forgot about Chrome OS.

Oh wait, I forgot about it again.

BZWGolem

Conspirator☆
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Now mainly Windows but I was a big Linux fan for years.

But Linux turned out to be more of a tool to work for me and for everyday purposes which are not connected with work or university stuff, I switched to Windows :P

Nowadays I have a spare SSD dive with Ubuntu which I boot up if I need it. I also host a SSH server at home so if I ever need Linux I simply connect to that.
Or I simply run Linux on some cloud service or inside a Docker container.
Idk why but I don't like VMs much.

Oh.. if we count Android as Linux (which it is!) and my phone as a computer (which it is too!) then yea, I use Linux for personal purposes too xD

Rubad Ubdub

AKA
Time Zone
US Mountain Time
Oh.. if we count Android as Linux (which it is!) and my phone as a computer (which it is too!) then yea, I use Linux for personal purposes too xD
We may not soon if those Linux devs pull their code out like they're threatening to do because of the COC changes.

Screem

Sir Premium
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
+8 GMT
Switch FC
SW-4503-9262-0045
Personally, I'm a Windows guy on my gaming PC, but also do a bit of server admin for Debian and play around with Raspian. I used to have a Mac laptop, but after it died I never felt the need to ever use Mac ever again (much rather not be put in a box and be told features that are years old are "new").

I'm also hoping to get into Cyber Security soon and apparently a lot of people in cyber sec (at least in my state) use Mac, so we'll see.

@Rubad Ubdub I actually have a ChromeBook and forgot about it until just now.

BZWGolem

Conspirator☆
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
We may not soon if those Linux devs pull their code out like they're threatening to do because of the COC changes.
i wouldn't bee too scared of that. There was always drama in the Linux community and it survived so far :P

Linux is not owned by one person or anything. Old versions are always available free of charge even if they drop the project or if anyone forks it and creates a paid version. Like you could ever delete all your code that you uploaded to the internet xD

Even if that happens, all it takes is any group of devs to take the slightly older code and take over development -> and there are lots of people that would love to do that.
No worries, open source dies only when interest in it dies, and there are too many people that love Linux ;)

Rubad Ubdub

AKA
Time Zone
US Mountain Time
No worries, open source dies only when interest in it dies, and there are too many people that love Linux ;)
This would be nice if Linux used the updated GNU license, but it still uses 2.0 I believe. Those threatening to pull code would mean that the code they made is licensed to them and would have to be completely removed from Linux immediately, and if they left the code in they could sue. This would not only completely damage fundamental functions of Linux that would make it unusable but would not allow devs to push new versions of Linux as they try to essentially build new frameworks from the ground up and security flaws would be left unpatched and it would probably create a bunch of new ones. The COC changes are very politically charged and cause tons of issues involving social politics and what people are allowed to say and some agree that they're pushing things too far. Some Linux devs are very upset.

It's not worth delving into on this forum because it could spark debates on topics that don't belong here. If you're interested look up on it yourself.

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
Windows. I might dual-boot Linux eventually but it's not a top priority for me at the moment.

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
windows 10 because i'm a normie

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
I have Windows 10, and regret it almost every day. (Remember the update last month that deleted files from the /user/ folder randomly?) I'd install Ubuntu in a heartbeat except there's a ridiculous amount of games/software that I use pretty regularly that only works on Windows. Linux proponents tell me to just use Wine, and if it was just one or two things I probably would, but if I have to pipe everything I do through it then what's the point?

Ice_Dragon

The Fairy Dragon
Staff Emeritus
Time Zone
GMT +8
Windows for my personal laptop

Kali Linux for my work laptop

Tails Debian Linux for my virtual machine

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Windows because I really do not know enough about computer stuff and have no idea what linux even is.

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i use chrome os because i don’t have an actual laptop just a chromebook ; ;

idk if i’d actually get a laptop tbh. i thought i was gonna get one to do digital art or whatever, but i really don’t like doing digital art so that’s probably not gonna happen anytime soon.

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
I used to use Linux Ubuntu, but now I just use Windows 10.

Revan

Wound in the Force
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Ravey, Steve
Time Zone
US Central Time
My laptop uses macOS, but I also have a work computer with Windows 10 and Ubuntu. A Linux environment is essential to my work and it's much easier to not use Windows for it, so I just have Windows for software that's not available on Ubuntu.

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Windows 10 Home. It's the same that I got it with at the beginning of 2017. It does have some features that I like having, and it's different from the Mac interface I had for four years but still I enjoy it.

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Linux. Specifically KDE Neon (which is just Ubuntu plus an extra KDE repo), which I installed a few weeks ago after being on Debian for a couple of years. I'm loving the smartphone integration provided by KDE Connect, stuff like unlocking my PC from my phone or automatically pausing VLC when I get a call.

Linux has been my primary OS for about 15 years now, since I first tried Knoppix and pretty much never looked back, so I know it well now. I'll boot Windows if I really need to, and usually get irritated by it.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
Windows 10 and it's okay but give me back Windows 7 control features tbh.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
my desktop jus has windows 10! doesn't give me too many problems anymore. sometimes i use my roommate's macbook though if i wanna be on the couch and then i obviously am using whatever mac OS it has.

Sheep

Regular Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
second vote for mac ye
i paid an arm and a leg for this laptop but do adore the mac OS so much at this point, so it was worth it. <3