• The Closure of the Marriland Forums

The Marriland Forums will be going into read-only mode on February 15th, 2021. Come October 1st, 2021 the forums will be taken down entirely. More information can be found in this thread. Thank you for being a part of our community!

Which temporary transformation of Pokémon do you think you'd prefer?

Which temporary transformation of Pokémon do you think you'd prefer?

• Mega Evolution

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dynamax

• Megamax (Fusion of Mega Evolution and Dynamax and/or Gigantamax)

• Any of your other different ideas that you’ve made up.

• None of the above.

• Total voters

Leon_s_Galarian_Monarchy

Beginner Trainer
Which kinds of temporary transformation of Pokémon do you think you'd prefer?
  • Mega Evolution
  • Dynamax
  • Gigantamax
  • Megamax (Fusion of Mega Evolution and Dynamax and/or Gigantamax)
  • Any of your other different ideas that you’ve made up.
  • None of the above.
Please let me know, thanks. :)

Last edited:

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
I have really really enjoyed Dynamax and Gigantamax. Its like, an evolution of mega evolution.

(My post will naturally, be very competitive orientated!)

When Mega evolution was announced, I was hyper excited for it. Not least because it gave old Pokémon an update or a buff. Charizard and Mewtwo got greedy and got two mega evolutions, but competitively, these were always outside being useful. With stupidly high stats, amazing abilities, even new typings, these were golden.

They were a bit clunky though. I've talked about it many times before - some mega evolutions got weaker, as they couldn't hold Life Orb, Lum Berry or Choice Band. Lucario, for example. had stronger STAB moves thanks to Adaptability, but came at the cost of weaker coverage moves. This meant he was still walled by Jellicent, for example, and did less damage with Crunch.

The other awkward thing came in how to activate it. VGC Rules lets you choose 4 Pokémon out of your 6, so realistically you would want 2 Mega Evolutions that you could build your team around and be used in different modes. But that meant that you had to activate it with Protect, lest get hit when you was at your most vulnerable. Protect is a common move in VGC, but it meant that these Uber powerful Pokémon have 1 less move to use as well. Lucario now needs to pick between 3 of Swords Dance, Close Combat, Steel STAB (it didn't get Meteor Mash until Gen 8?), Ice Punch, Crunch, Stone Edge... yeah, its not so difficult to beat now.

Some, like Kangaskhan, didn't have the same issue. STAB Fake Out already stalled out the turn needed for the Mega Evolution to Proc, so had 3 other moves to do tons of damage with.

And, Mega Evolutions were unnecessarily complicated. Only a few Pokémon got them (relatively speaking!), most had different types and abilities, so you had to almost keep an eye on 1.5 times more Pokémon.

Dynamax is beautifully simple. Everyone gets it, everyone gets access to the same 19 simple Max moves, unless you're one of the lucky Gigantamax Pokémon, which also get some additional effects on their moves.

Lasting 3 turns also puts a time limit on it, which means you can sometimes waste it. Trick Room + Dynamax comes to mind - the amount of people that use Dusclops + Indeedee to proc Weakness Policy turn 2 on something like Gigalith, Rhyperior or even Guzzlord, and then have put all their eggs in one basket and get reverse swept by a late game Dynamax.

Dynamax essentially doubles your bulk and increases your damage between 10% - 50%, depending on the move.

Strategically, there are loads of uses for it as well. On a fast, frail sweep, it greatly improves their bulk and increases their crazy damage. Think Porygon-Z and Dracozolt. Some, it makes Weakness Policy really viable, like on Coalossal, Tyranitar or Metagross. Or there's some with crazy utility, like Lapras, Pikachu or Butterfree, who are insanely annoying.

It also doesn't force you to use one of the few Megas that exist. If you didn't use a Mega, you got left behind, but like this, you can make use of whatever you want and make that the core of your team.

To be honest, I think I chose the right time to get back into Pokémon, and hope that it stays this simple for a long long time.

It won't last forever, but it'd be interesting to see what they replace Dynamax with. It adds the wild card that Pokémon needed back in Gen's 4-5, buffing everything and making it viable.