Why can't we use our old accounts?

MASTER260

New Trainer
I joined the Marriland Forums back in '07 to complain about the NSider Forums being closed down. Then, every few years or so, I'd pop in at random moments because I felt like it. Now I see that they archived the old site and all that's left is a new forum, but we can't just link our old accounts. What was the point of saying that we need to link it to our Twitch in order to keep it if you were just going to get rid of it anyways?

Marriland

Founder
AKA
Dev
Time Zone
CDT
I'll try to clear things up for you.

In 2012, the Marriland website, including the forums, were sold to Curse (I was onboard during this time to still manage it). The entire backend of the site was rebuilt from scratch, forums included, although users and posts were migrated over.

In 2015, I was removed from my position at Curse, and we reached an amicable separation so I could continue using the Marriland name while the forums and other content was rebranded to "Azurilland" (on Azurilland.com).

Later, Curse was acquired by Twitch, and for whatever reason they wanted to link your accounts to a Twitch account.

In November of 2018, Azurilland was to go into read-only mode, so the Azurilland Forums (formerly the Marriland Forums) were going to branch off to another forum, but I stepped in to offer to host them as the Marriland Forums. This was not the original plan or anything, just to address your "what was the point of saying we need to link it to our Twitch in order to keep it if you were just going to get rid of it anyways?" (That wasn't any of the staff's decision but Curse/Twitch's, which we are no longer affiliated with.)

All of the old posts and accounts from the old Marriland Forums are no longer here because there is no longer any access to them and they legally can't be brought over here. Everything has to be rebuilt from the ground up. That's just how it is. But this new incarnation of the Marriland Forums has nothing to do with Twitch, Curse, or really anything from the old site, so you hopefully shouldn't have to worry about needing to connect things.

MASTER260

New Trainer
Well, I'm glad to hear you have control of your site again. You were one of my favorite YouTubers when I was a kid and I would much rather you be in control than some faceless corporation. I didn't know that Curse fired you, though, but, I guess you learn something new every day. It's nice talking with you!

Marriland

Founder
AKA
Dev
Time Zone
CDT
Yeah, and I have every intention on keeping the forums and the rest of the site (which will be actively worked on starting in 2019!) under my control. And I do still feel that Curse was fair, since they could have theoretically taken the name which would have been a major problem. I have no major ill will towards them and applaud their handling of our separation, so that's good at least. Anyway, have a good time here!