Nuzlocke WindriderShiva's Generationlocke - Attempt 3!

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227

Here we go again. I'm not giving up on getting all generations Nuzlocked in one shot. Am I crazy? Probably. Yes. Will I ever learn? Haha no.

Anyways, since my previous attempt died thanks to a save SNAFU, I've decided to just restart everything. What originally started as a good Red run turned sour pretty quickly, then just continued going down the drain. I could've saved the run, but sometimes, you know when you need to backtrack and mercy kill runs... this is one of those.

Enough dwelling on the past, here is to a new run!

With the same games because I'm apparently hellbent onto finishing those in particular. Probably because they were my first games of each generation (with two exceptions, X and Moon, because I have so much to backup with Y/Sun to bother.)

As usual with me, you'll find summary posts for each game, all summed up in one bigger post. Little to no story, I just prefer logs, less frustration as I work up updates.

1. If your Pokemon faints, it has "died" and can no longer be used in battle. After a Pokemon "dies", you must either place them in the box permanently or release them. Revival items cannot be used to bring them back, and you can't reset your game either.

2. You can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter in an area. This means that if you run into a Pikipek on Route 1, that is the only Pokemon you can catch for that route. If you aren't able to catch it, your encounter for that location is used up.
    • Bodies of water count as the route or town they're in. If you encounter a Magikarp by fishing on Route 204 and it's your first encounter for that route, you can't catch something from the grass or other areas on Route 204 anymore.
    • Trades and gift Pokemon count as encounters for the areas they happen in.

• You can choose how you want to handle encounters before you receive Pokeballs, as well as areas like the Safari Zone.
  3. You can only trade with other games to activate Trade Evolutions. This means that you can only use Pokemon you can actually catch/obtain in your game. In-game trades and gift Pokemon are up to your own judgement.

4. You MUST nickname every Pokemon you catch! This makes the Pokemon more personal- which causes deaths to have an even bigger impact.
The Nuzlocke Challenge also has some clauses, or exceptions to the rules:
  1. Dupes Clause: If your first encounter in an area is a Pokemon you have already caught, that encounter doesn't count. This also applies to Pokemon that belong to an evolutionary family you have already caught. This way you don't get a team full of Pidgeys or Bidoof.

2. Shiny Clause: If you encounter a Shiny Pokemon, you are allowed to catch it. You can choose to replace a Pokemon you already have with it, or just trade it to a different game if you don't want to use it in your challenge.
Additional clauses:
  1. Pokémon that make it to a game's Hall of Fame cannot be re-used for subsequent games.
  2. Any KO before Pokéballs are obtained does not count towards the challenge.

Without further ado, let's start with Red! Again.

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
GLOBAL TRACKER
Starter: Charmander
Route 1: Nothing - KOed encounter
Route 2: Pidgey
Viridian Forest: Kakuna
Route 3: Spearow
Mount Moon: Zubat
Route 4: Ekans
Route 5: Mankey
Route 6: Oddish
Route 7: Nothing - Encounter roared
Route 8: Nothing - Encounter roared
Celadon: Eevee > Jolteon
Route 9: Voltorb
Route 10: Slowpoke
Rock Tunnel: Geodude
Power Plant: Electabuzz
Pokémon Tower: Nothing - KOed encounter
Route 11: Nothing - KOed encounter
Diglett Tunnel: Nothing - KOed encounter
Route 12: Nothing - KOed encounter
Route 13: Nothing - No valid catches
Route 14: Nothing - No valid catches
Route 15: Venonat
Route 16: Nothing - KOed encounter
Route 17: Tentacool
Route 18: Nothing - KOed encounter
Safari Zone: Nothing - Encounter ran away
Route 19: Nothing - KOed encounter
Route 20: Nothing - KOed encounter
Route 21: Tentacool
Seafoam Islands: Seel
Route 22: Rattata
Route 23: Ditto
Route 24: Abra
Route 25: Caterpie
Victory Road: Onix

Starter: Cyndaquil
Route 29: Sentret
Route 30: Caterpie
Route 31: Bellsprout
Dark Cave:
Sprout Tower: Rattata
Ruins of Alph:
Route 32:
Route 33:
Route 34:
Route 35:
Route 36:
Route 37:
Route 38:
Route 39:
Route 40:
Route 41:
Route 42:
Route 43:
Route 44:
Route 45:
Route 46:
Route 47:
Route 48:

Global death count: 4

• Lost Ezio the Pidgeotto to Misty's Starmie, by crit Bubblebeam
  • Lost Wilbur the Raticate to Misty's Starmie, by crit Water Gun
  • Lost Mona the Mankey to a wild Spearow's Leer+Peck combo
  • Lost Loki the Zubat to... a Raticate. I double-checked. Lost him on Route 6 to that trainer's Raticate, right outside of Vermillion.

Tricky, Gyarados Pwner - Jolteon (Electric)
Level: 58
Moveset: Agility, Sand-Attack, Thunderbolt, Thunder

Shifty, Rad Surfer - Tentacruel (Water/Poison)
Level: 57
Moveset: Acid, Surf, Supersonic, Hydro Pump

Scoville, Very Spicy Lizert - Charizard (Fire/Flying)
Moveset: Slash, Fire Spin, Flamethrower, Strength

Dwayne, Not Just A Boulder - Golem (Rock/Ground)
Moveset: Earthquake, Harden, Rock Throw, Dig

Murmaider, Body Bag: Check - Dewgong (Water/Ice)
Level: 59
Moveset: Headbutt, Rest, Surf, Ice Beam

Nurmat, Psy-luck - Alakazam (Psychic)
Level: 59
Moveset: Recover, Psychic, Disable, Psybeam

Last edited:

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
FIRST GENERATION: RED
Update 1: Pumped Up Pokes​

Let's do a few different things, this time around. I named my character Red, and randomed a number from 1 to 3.

1: Bulbasaur
2: Charmander
3: Squirtle

DRUMROLL
A 2! A Charmander as a starter! While super not optimal in early game, it's got good potential later on. While kinda wanna get going with a naming theme just for the fun, I have no real idea of a theme to use, so I named the Charmander Scoville. Of course, Gary picked up the Squirtle.

After many a Scratch and a few Tail Whips from Squirtle, I am pleased to report that Scoville won against Gary! More money, and averting one of those "the run could've been over by now if I didn't specify that in the rules beforehand" moments.

As I fetched the Parcel from the Pokémart, I got Scoville to level 10, then headed back to Pallet and handed the parcel over. I got thanks from Oak, and a Pokédex to record the stuff it apparently already knows. Once that was done, I went back to Viridian and bought Pokéballs.

THE RUN IS ON!

Now to go through Route 1, 22, 2, and Viridian Forest, to reach Pewter. There's always something on my mind when I do this due to the low amount of Pokémon found in the wild in those areas. I have a basic "choice" of Pidgey, Rattata, both Nidoran (which are awesome additions), Weedle or Caterpie. This is early game, but it's grown fairly redundant. Viridian opens up with Pikachu and the (ugh) Metapod/Kakuna evolutions, and as much as I find it overrated generally speaking... a Pikachu would be very welcome on this run.

This is what I got this time around.
Route 1 catch? Nothing, since I KOed the Rattata.
Route 22 catch? The Rattata I KOed, Wilbur.
On Route 2, a Pidgey named Ezio.
Viridian Forest yielded a Kakuna, Forester.

This is definitely A Start™, but I'll try to make use of them all. Who knows? I may finally use a Raticate more.

Nothing big occurred through the forest. I got poisoned once, but that was it. No near-KO, easy fights, perfect.

PHEW-TER CITY
When I stepped in the gym, my team averaged 14. Scoville hit 15 after the trainer fight, so I decided to get him to 16. Took a while, but Scoville evolved into a Charmeleon! I realy hope I can actually keep him throughout the game, I haven't kept a starter since my original Generationlocke's Gold run's Meganium, whom I managed to get in the Hall of Fame.

The training paid off. I think Scoville can handle the Gym. Just gotta watch for Bide, since they don't carry Rock Throw yet.

Pewter City Gym Leader Brock
Geodude: Ember is not very effective. Still got to burn him though... which got canceled by a Full Heal from Brock. This time, I hit two crits in a row, with taking a single Tackle in return, so Geodude is out.
Onix: After two Ember attacks, Onix decided to Bide it up. Not trusting my damage rolls, I just used Growl, then went back to Ember. All two Onix's attempts at Screech failed. Saved my ears, I suppose.

Red got the Boulderbadge, and TM34, Bide. First badge of what I hope to be many! (And I probably just jinxed myself.)

The first hard part is over; now I'm hoping to find something that can deal with Gary's team. I do have Ezio and Wilbur, but I'd love something that can dish out serious damage to both Gary's Pidgeotto and Misty's Starmie.

EASY-PEASY ROUTE 3, BABY
On Route 3, I hit around 10 Pidgey in a row before eventually falling on something else. Fury the Spearow was caught with my last Pokéball, which prompted a return to Pewter to restock. Most of my grind already done, I was free to move towards Mt. Moon. Fun thing though: I did get a couple levels with Loki, and I encountered a level 5 Jigglypuff. I swapped Loki out for Wilbur and I think I got put to sleep no less than 5 times in a row. That... was not fun.

AND IT AMOUNTS TO...
Catching another Zubat in Mt. Moon. Loki, his name is. Found it pretty apt, since Zubat is a fairly trolly Pokémon. Much like in Viridian Forest, I'm overleveled and it makes things rather easy. Even the odd Geodude popping up causes no issue.

I assigned 1 and 2 to the fossils, and rolled a 2, winding up with the Helix Fossil again. HAIL LORD HELIX.

Unless getting poisoned is a really exciting thing to someone out there, nothing of importance happened during the rest.

Eventually I made it out of Mt. Moon, reaching Cerulean with ease. This leads to my Route 4 encounter - and catch! - an Ekans now named Lotus. Given I need to grind more for Misty, this looks like a good place to end the update.

Yes, this one was short, but I don't want it to be a near-repeat of my last run, lost too recently (as I write this bit, it's been a week). Next update, we tackle Gary, check up on Bill, and hopefully defeat Misty. Am I scared? Yeah.

• Decided to just restart the Generationlocke with a new thread.
  • So here we are, I'm now a guy named Red.
  • Rolled 2 on RNG and got a Charmander as a starter!
  • His name is Scoville.
  • Beat my eternal rival, Gary. Eat this.
  • Grabbed the Parcel for Oak, came back to Pallet, handed the Parcel, got the Pokédex.
  • Went back to Viridian to pick up Pokéballs, and started the Nuzlocke itself!
  • OH IT'S ON.
  • No it's not, Route 1 catch failed.
  • Caught Wilbur the Rattata on Route 22!
  • Caught Ezio the Pidgey on Route 2!
  • Caught Forrester the Kakuna in Viridian Forest!
  • I'm now officially scared for Brock.
  • Leveled the crap out of my team. Scoville was the first to evolve, at 16, into a Charmeleon.
  • The leveling paid off, and Brock was beaten very easily. Go Scoville!
  • Got the Boulderbadge and the Bide TM.
  • Caught Fury the Spearow on Route 3!
  • While grinding a few levels on Wilbur, a Jigglypuff put him to sleep... and then did it again... and again. I lost count at 5 times. Likely 7 times.
  • Entered Mt. Moon and caught Loki the Zubat!
  • Rolled another 2 on fossil selection, netting me another Lord Helix in my future.
  • Other than that, it's been easy so far. So far.
  • Reached Cerulean, healed at the Pokémon center.
  • Caught Lotus the Ekans on Route 4!
  • Started the grind for the upcoming battle against Gary.

Loki - Zubat (Poison/Flying)
Level: 13
Moveset: Leech Life, Supersonic

Forrester - Kakuna (Bug/Poison)
Level: 5
Moveset: Harden

Fury - Spearow (Normal/Flying)
Level: 8
Moveset: Peck, Growl

Scoville - Charmeleon (Fire)
Level: 17
Moveset: Scratch, Growl, Ember, Leer

Ezio - Pidgey (Normal/Flying)
Moveset: Gust, Sand-Attack, Quick Attack

Wilbur - Rattata (Normal)
Moveset: Tackle, Tail Whip, Quick Attack, Hyper Fang

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
Finally, an update! Let's get going first with replies:

Third time's the charm! Good luck!
Thanks! I hope I'll make it through at least a few games, this time!

Update 2: Death makes supper for two
I tried to find a less spoilery subtitle but I can't, I like this. Anyways, I do have two deaths this chapter, but also new Pokémon, so that kinda balances out.

I've grinded a few Pokes to 17 (Loki) and 18 (Wilbur, Scoville, Ezio - also Ezio evolved to Pidgeotto). I'm now officially in "I'm here to kick Gary's butt or chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum" mode. And kick Gary's butt, I did. Well, Red did. I'm just mashing buttons and making terrible decisions.

Pokémon Trainer Gary:
Pidgeotto
: Started with Quick Attack. Scoville scored a nice Ember crit. This was, of course, followed by a Quick Attack. Wanting to see how much Scratch hit for, I was disappointed, and suffered a Sand-Attack on top. The next Ember hit - and left Pidgeotto at literally one pixel of health-... then Pidgeotto managed a crit Gust. Time to swap Scoville, for Wilbur. Another Sand-Attack from Pidgeotto, making Wilbur miss his Quick Attack. Another Sand-Attack went off, and finally, Wilbur brought Pidgeotto down.
Abra: Wilbur's Hyper Fang actually connected, and OHKOed it.
Rattata: I swapped to Ezio for this. First Quick Attack took over half of Rattata's HP. Second one KOed. Rattata used Tackle once.
Squirtle: Definitely has more DEF than Rattata, so Quick Attack wasn't as effective. Squirtle used Bubble, lowering Ezio's speed, but that won't matter because I'm spamming Quick Attack. Tail Whip came and left. Two more Quick Attacks and Squirtle went done. Ezio's last attack was a crit too.

Red defeated Gary!

Well, that was pretty easy all around. Was scared of the Pidgeotto.

BUGGET NRIDGE
Nugget Bridge didn't last super long either. I focused on trying to get some exp for Loki, who proved to be useful against the Bug- and Poison-types thanks to Leech Life. I think this is something they should bring back: Poison having a weakness to Bug.

As for my Route 24 encounter... I did it: I caught an Abra, at full health, with a single Pokéball. Called him Nurmat, because I think it's another one of those neat names. On Route 25, it was a Caterpie, Malia. I have no idea what I'll do with her, but Butterfree's okay. On the other hand, I am awfully equipped against Rock. Let's see. I have two flyers on my team, and one of each: Normal, Fire, Poison, Psychic. The latter who currently doesn't have any damaging attacks, and won't until his evolution. I was lucky that the Geodude I faced used nothing but Defense Curl, which was curved by Scoville's Ember.

Other highlights of that route: Wilbur losing 3/4ths of his HP by a crit Hyper Fang from a fellow Rattata, a Slowpoke that got me using Teleport to heal before any mishaps, and Scoville hitting 20 - mostly because of all those Geodude.

BILLING DEPT.
Finally reached Bill's mansion. One day I'm gonna make this guy pay. I helped him to get out of his The Fly-like transformed state, and got the Ticket to the S.S. Anne party. I mean it paid off, but still.

After that, I teleported back to the Pokémon Center, healed, and went back to leveling my team. Nurmat evolved into a Kadabra, prompting me to get an Alakazam. Slight problem: since I'm running on emulator, I had to do gymnastics to trade, but in the end, I did the thing.

At this point, most of my team is at 20 - meaning I also got Wilbur to evolve into a Raticate. I think I stand a chance against Misty.

Cerulean City Gym Leader Misty
Staryu: For someone who says she has an all-out offensive, Misty used an X-Defend. I hit Tackle by mistake, but come to think of it, it might've been for the best. Hyper Fang KOed the Staryu right after.
Starmie: I switched to Nurmat, only to realize Psychic won't work that well against Starmie. I managed to disable Tackle, sent Ezio, and then crits just came. Over. And. Over. Wilbur got KOed by a crit Bubblebeam on switch, from nearly full HP. This is not good. Ezio fainted as I tried to keep him afloat, until I switched to Nurmat. Confusion led to Starmie getting confused, then promptly hurting itself. It was the only time, but the Confusion spam worked. It still came very, very close, with Nurmat down to 8/56 HP.

Despite those two deaths, that's a win. I got the Cascadebage, TM11 Bubblebeam, and I can now... hold on to your seatbelts...

Cut. Which I don't have yet. But we'll get there!

MORE KOs, BUT NOT ON MY END THIS TIME
I went straight down to Route 6, where I caught Irma the Oddish, which will likely replace... Loki, because I lost him to that Raticate guarding the gate to Vermillion.

I wasn't thinking and KOed a Drowzee on Route 11. Thinking I'd score myself a Diglett, I went into the cave, found a level 19 one, and KOed it with a crit Confusion. With the constant switching while grinding on the route, I eventually backtracked a bit, and remembered I was missing a catch on Route 5. Perfect moment to add a Mankey to my team - Mona the Mankey.

Which is going to be where I'm stopping this update! Hopefully, by next update, I'll be done with S.S. Anne and Lt. Surge. Will report soon!

• Grind, grind, grind. Team averaging 17.
  • Ezio evolved into Pidgeotto!
  • Defeated Gary before Nugget Bridge!
  • Beat Nugget Bridge, and that Rocket grunt as well.
  • Caught Nurmat the Abra on Route 24!
  • Alakazam hype!
  • Caught Malia the Caterpie on Route 25!
  • Butterfree... less hype. Maybe one day.
  • Reached Bill's mansion and helped reverse his transformation.
  • Got the S.S. Anne ticket, yay, big fancy party. /s
  • Went back to grinding and leveling.
  • Evolved Nurmat into Kadabra!
  • Did emulation gymnastics and evolved Nurmat into Alakazam!
  • Also evolved Wilbur into Raticate!
  • Decided to tackle on Misty with a team in their 20s.
  • Big.
  • Mistake.
  • Lost Wilbur to a crit Bubblebeam from Starmie =|
  • Lost Ezio to a crit Water Gun, also from Starmie =|
  • Won with Nurmat's help - but that was a close call. Confusion actually confused Starmie, made it hit itself once.
  • Painful. Two losses.
  • But I got the Cascadebage!
  • Time to recoup and move on.
  • Caught Irma the Oddish on Route 6!
  • KOed a Drowzee on Route 11.
  • KOed a Diglett in Diglett Tunnel.
  • Caught Mona the Mankey onh Route 5!

Mona - Mankey (Fighting)
Level: 10
Moveset: Scratch, Leer

Level: 22
Moveset: Scratch, Growl, Ember, Leer

Nurmat - Alakazam (Psychic)
Level: 22
Moveset: Teleport, Confusion, Disable

Lotus - Ekans (Poison)
Level: 12
Moveset: Wrap, Leer, Poison Sting

Level: 9
Moveset: Peck, Growl, Leer

Irma - Oddish (Grass/Poison)
Level: 20
Moveset: Absorb, Poisonpowder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder

Last edited:

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Best of Luck, and may the Self Destructs be few and far between.

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
What's this?! Two updates in two days?!

Best of Luck, and may the Self Destructs be few and far between.
Thank you! So far it's been behaving pretty well! Progress was made and Self-destructs were mostly averted.

Update 3: Rock solid, finally​

You'd think I should know better than push my teams over.

The Mankey I caught? I backtracked to level her up and immediately got hit by a Spearow. I managed a crit, but it used Leer; I did not hit a crit Scratch on the second turn, the Spearow lived with literally one pixel, and then decimated Mona with one Peck. So yeah, I lost Mona.

Point where I just... decided to train different Pokémon. I focused on Lotus and Irma, specifically, figuring out I'd level them as I cleared S.S. Anne. I also grabbed Forester, because who knows. Irma evolved into Gloom, Forester into Beedril; Lotus evolved into Arbok and got Bite, making him actually decent for now. Got a level into Nurmat before facing Gary as well.

Note for future self: grab Jolteon before the next Gary fight. We don't want a repeat of last time, do we.

Pokémon Trainer Gary:
Pidgeotto: It started with Quick Attack, while I attempted to soften it up a tad with Leer. Its second Quick Attack crit, where I swapped for Scoville. A Gust, Sand-Attack, followed by Scoville's Ember - then another Quick Attack, and the Ember crit.
Raticate: OHKOed through Nurmat's Confusion.
Kadabra: Sent Scoville. The first Scratch connected just fine, and was followed by a Disable - which hit Rage. Scoville's next Scratch was a crit, so Kadabra went down.
Wartortle: Went for Irma. Its Tail Whip failed, its Tackle dealt minor damage, and Absorb spam just did the trick.

... As usual, I ran out of item room right before the Captain, so I went back to the Pokémon Center, dumped items in the PCs, went back in, got HM01, and taught it to Forester.

Instead of going right to the Gym, I decided to get catches I'd normally route for later. Lotus evolved against that first Lass on the route. I reached the Pokémon Center with ease, healed up, and got new teammates. I caught a Voltorb named OOOOOOOORB on Route 9, and a Geodude named Dwayne for obvious reasons, inside the Rock Tunnel. Perfect time to teach a Pokémon Dig, because Ground STAB. I now have okay coverage; still unsure if I'll use the Voltorb or what, though. I could always throw Thunderbolt on him.

Anyways, I went back down to Vermillion City, brought the gates down, got Dwayne to evolve into Graveler, and I'm now ready to face Surge.

Vermillion City Gym Leader Lt. Surge:
Voltorb: Started off with Sonicboom, and suffered a OHKO by Dwayne's Dig.
Pikachu: Thundershock did not affect Dwayne, it repeated it for Dig's turn, and then also got KOed.
Raichu: Clearly, Surge's AI did not learn from its first butt-kicking. Same deal as Pikachu: Thundershock x2, followed by a OHKO Dig.

I love the Geodude line in Gen I and II. They always pull through. With Lt. Surge down, Red gets his Thunderbadge, the Thunderbolt TM, and I can now use Fly... if only I had it! Soon though. Soon.

SELFDESTRUCT TUNNEL
This time I have a freaking Graveler on my team. I shouldn't be having issues with Selfdestruct, unlike MY PREVIOUS RUN (where I lost a record of NINE Pokémon to that single move).

The first Selfdestruct I encountered was thwarted! I've avoided a few of those, namely against the Hiker with two Geodude and a Graveler. The first Geodude just got KOed by Dig, after a failed Rock Throw and Tackle combo. The second one used Selfdestruct during a Dig turn, and Dwayne came back up as the Graveler got sent out. Enemy Graveler immediately poofed. Absolutely beautiful.

What's even more beautiful is being out of the Rock Tunnel and having made it to Lavender!

ENTER AND LEAVANDER
Because we're not staying there long right now. On Route 8, my first encounter - a Growlithe - used Roar and pretty much saved it from being catched. I went west towards Celadon, grabbing Tricky the Eevee, where I downright autopiloted through Game Corner's Rocket hideout. Eventless, almost effortless as well. I had to go back to the PCM once or twice for safety, otherwise all my Pokémon hit 26-27 (except my poor neglected Forester).

By the time I kinda came out of The Zone, I had the Lift key, and was my on my way to beat Giovanni up. Here's the short rundown:

Giovanni:
Onix: I had Lotus out, so I went Irma instead. He used a Guard Spec. on the Onix, but whatever. Absorb still OHKOed it.
Rhyhorn: Wasn't exactly an Absorb OHKO, but an easy one nonetheless. I'll take it.
Kangaskhan: I changed Irma for Dwayne. Took 3 Digs, but each one making Kangaskhan miss out on attacks. Two Comet Punches and one Rage.

I took the elevator to BF1 and faced that one trainer, which allowed Nurmat to ding to 27 and learn Psybeam.

I also made my decision concerning Eevee: Jolteon it is. I have enough Water possibilities, but Voltorb probably won't cut it that much as my Gyarados killer. I stopped at Celadon's mall, snagged a Thunderstone to use on Eevee, and a Leaf Stone to turn Gloom into Vileplume later on (not yet, because I want at least Petal Dance at 38... unsure if I'll push for Solar Beam). I then evolved Dwayne into a Golem via a separate emulator.

I'm nearly set to get Erika's badge, but not just yet. I wanna level up a bit more, especially Scoville and Nurmat, who're likely carry the gym. And then, there's Gary...

• Thought I'd level up Mona outside Celadon.
  • Immediately derp and send Mona against a Spearow.
  • Mistakes were made. Again.
  • Lost Mona to said Spearow. That Leer+Peck combo was painful.
  • Back down to Vermillion.
  • Started clearing out S.S. Anne. That was a good idea, because...
  • Irma evolved into a Gloom!
  • Forester evolved into a Beedrill!
  • Lotus evolved into an Arbok!
  • Beat Gary in S.S. Anne!
  • Rubbed the Captain's back and got rewarded with knowledge to Cut things down. Got HM01!
  • But after the S.S. Anne bit, I did not go into the Electric Gym. Nope.
  • I went all the way back to Cerulean, and through Route 10.
  • Caught OOOOOOOORB the Voltorb on Route 10!
  • Caught Dwayne the Rock Johnson Geodude!
  • Leveled these guys up a bit, until they were mostly around 24.
  • Went back to Vermillion's Gym, beat up some trainers.
  • Dwayne evolved into a Graveler!
  • Destroyed Surge's team, thanks to Dwayne.
  • Obtained the Thunderbadge, the Thunderbolt TM, and finally allowing my BIRDS to FLY.
  • And back to Rock Tunnel!
  • Did not get Self-destructed, so that is a huge, huge plus.
  • Even had a moment where a trainer's Geodude Self-destructed while Dwayne was in Dig, trainer sent Graveler, and Dwayned OHKOed it with Dig. That was a cool moment.
  • Reached Lavender- aaaaand she's gone.
  • Missed a Growlithe encounter on Route 8 because the pupper used Roar.
  • Tried to get another encounter on Route 7, but to no avail. I'll probably go back to it later.
  • Reached Celadon. * takes a deep breath *
  • Grabbed the Eevee from the apartment building, named him Tricky;
  • Absolutely blasted through the Rocket's Game Corner hideout;
  • Found the Lift Key;
  • Beat Giovanni;
  • Bought some stuff from the mall (Thunder Stone/Leaf Stone);
  • Evolved Dwayne into a Golem;
  • And I can conclude this update.

Lotus - Arbok (Poison)
Level: 26
Moveset: Wrap, Leer, Poison Sting, Bite

Level: 27
Moveset: Teleport, Confusion, Disable, Psybeam

Moveset: Absorb, Poisonpowder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder

Moveset: Scratch, Rage, Ember, Leer

Tricky - Eevee (Normal)
Level: 25
Moveset:

Dwayne - Golem (Rock/Ground)
Level: 28
Moveset: Tackle, Defense Curl, Rock Throw, Dig

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
Sorry I've missed this so far. I hadn't noticed the new thread. So far so good. Good luck this time. Red can be a tough one, generation 1 is so broken in so many ways although you are running the best pokemon in the game so you're in a good spot. Excited to read the next part.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
League Champion
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Hey, I'm a bit late to the party but this has been a very enjoyable challenge to read so far! Here's hoping you have better luck this time around, eh?

There's just one thing bothering me about your most recent update...does Tricky the Eevee not know any moves?

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Seems like it's going quite a bit better than last time so far! I hope you will pull through and defeat the game this time around!

As I was reading back, I had one question: did you box Loki the Zubat or did he die? I though I read something about a Raticate, but I wasn't sure lol

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
What are you thinking of for Eevee? And would Eevee be eliminated from the run if it gets to Elite Four, or just that one eeveelution?

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
Wooh, finally, I came around to update this.

EDIT: All replies should be in there! Thank you for all the comments, I really appreciate it, and I'll answer best I can whenever updates roll out.~

Sorry I've missed this so far. I hadn't noticed the new thread. So far so good. Good luck this time. Red can be a tough one, generation 1 is so broken in so many ways although you are running the best pokemon in the game so you're in a good spot. Excited to read the next part.
Thanks! Yeah he's annoying at times, and I forgot to adjust to the fact he uses different Pokémon depending on the starter you choose. But it's working out so I'm not super worried. Just like how not worried I was when he showed up with level 35+ Pokes and I was sitting in my very early 30s, huh-huh.

Hey, I'm a bit late to the party but this has been a very enjoyable challenge to read so far! Here's hoping you have better luck this time around, eh?

There's just one thing bothering me about your most recent update...does Tricky the Eevee not know any moves?
Glad to see you're enjoying it, thanks! So far so good, and I hope I'm not jinxing myself, hah! I derped updating Eevee's moves, I'll fix it, thanks for noticing. Almost two weeks later, but better late than never!

Seems like it's going quite a bit better than last time so far! I hope you will pull through and defeat the game this time around!

As I was reading back, I had one question: did you box Loki the Zubat or did he die? I though I read something about a Raticate, but I wasn't sure lol
Thanks! This run is going smoothly! That Golem really helps, since he absorbs all the Selfdestructs I'd have otherwise suffered losses from. As for Loki the Zubat, he... unfortunately caught a case of said Raticate and died. May he flap his wings in Zubat heaven, ie. a cave full of trainers but also containing a bajillion Zubat. A bajillion per trainer, that is.

What are you thinking of for Eevee? And would Eevee be eliminated from the run if it gets to Elite Four, or just that one eeveelution?
Eevee got defaulted to a Jolteon. I need an Electric type to deal with some of the nastier stuff out there, while I can get Water types much more easily. Plus I like Jolteon more than Vaporeon (even though Vaporeon is a beast on its own).

For Pokémon that run different evolutionary lines, like the Eeveelutions, Scyther/Scizor, Poliwrath/Politoed, so on... I consider them different enough to be allowed in subsequent runs.

Right now, I have a Jolteon on my team, and I plan on taking it through the E4. I won't reuse Jolteon, but Espeon is different enough to warrant me using one in Gen 2, for example. Same if I end up with a Poliwrath; I'll keep Politoed open, but barring Poliwrath from further E4 appearances. The entire line gets barred if I use all available options.

Note that this logic does NOT apply to Pokémon with 2- and 3-stage evolutions, even if each tier is viable at casual E4 levels. Kadabra/Alakazam are very similar, so I'm barring the entire line if they make it past the E4.

Update 4: A Rainbow of missed encounters

Though my first move was not screwing up.

I evolved Tricky into a Jolteon before doing anything else. Not worth it waiting until 37 for Eevee to learn Bite. I went back to Route 7 for a possible Growlithe, and unfortunately that one who appeared an easy 30 mins into grind used Roar. No Fire backup as of now. Oh well. I leveled the team until they mostly hit 28, and then moved to Lavender and proceed through some storyline.

Namely, Pokémon Tower so I can free Mr. Fuji, get the Pokéflute and perhaps get me a Snorlax.

But first, Gary. This time, I'm ready.

Pokémon Trainer Gary:
Pidgeotto: Thunderbolt.
Growlithe: Dwayne's Rock Throw took care of that real quick.
Exeggcute: Scoville's Ember brought it down to I'd say... 15%, its Barrage missed, and I finished it off with Scratch.
Kadabra: Kept Scoville. Scratch hit, Kadabra's Confusion also hit for minor damage, but Scratch prevailed.
Wartortle: Spammed Absorb with Irma while it spammed Bite. And Tail Whip.

Legitimately expected him to have a Gyarados, but I remembered his team changes depending on your starter, so yeah, no Gyarados on his team this time. Good.

Since I can now see ghosts, this opened up the opportunity to get one on my team. Except I done goofed again; KOed a Ghastly with Thunderbolt. Oops. So much for Lavender's encounter.

The climb up went without a hitch, even during the Marowak fight. I tried with Irma, see how well she could do against it. Was alright. Marowak alternated between Leer and Bone Club, which, while being super effective against Irma's Poison typing, wasn't enough to KO her. Afterwards, the grunts on the top floor were, well, floored pretty easily, and I saved Mr. Fuji. Got the Pokéflute, and moved to Saffron.

KEYCARD SCRAMBLE
My time was mostly spent hunting down the damn Card Key. Muscle memory kicked in much later than usual. Think I cleared 90% of the available trainers before getting to it. Not getting me a ton of levels, but everyone averages 30. While not extremely painful, I did have to backtrack to the Pokécenter once or twice, being completely unable to find the rest area. So when I finally found the Card Key, I pressed on to right floor...

That A Mistake™. Because... hey, Gary again.

Pokémon Trainer Gary:
Pidgeot: It's 37. I sent Tricky, hit Thunderbolt, managed to knock out most of its HP with Thunderbolt, then Quick Attack to finish it off before Sand Attack connected. Okay, was not that bad in the end.
Growlithe: OHKOed by Dwayne's Dig. Missed a Leer.
Exeggcute: Sent Scoville out, hit Ember, brought about a third of its life bar down. It used Barrier, and Ember crit. exe.ggcute has stopped responding.
Alakazam: Out with Dwayne again, simply because of the HP pool. Alakazam used Confusion, HP went down to ~50%. Dig made it miss Psybeam, thankfully, and Alakazam went down the next turn. Whew. He was the right choice all along!
Blastoise: Oh damn it's 40 and-

View attachment 5475

Crit Thunderbolt. I'll take it.

Alright, so with Gary done. Do I... push further? Yes, I do. Because obviously I don't know when to stop... and neither can Giovanni. The guy talks too much.

Giovanni:
I was distracted when I started the fight, but to the best of my recollection:
Niodorino: Giovanni used a Guard Spec, but Nurmat OHKOed it with Psybeam.
Kangaskhan: OHKOed by Dwayne's Dig.
Rhyhorn: Got its life bar Absorbed by Irma, despite another Guard Spec.
Nidoqueen: Psybeam hit; Nidoqueen used Tail Whip, Psybeam hit again. Long live the Nidoqueen.

Well... looks like my team is more solid than I thought it to be. Time to push it a bit further to beat Erika. What I meant, is that I cleared out the Gym in its entirety before taking her on, considering I did not want a repeat of some of the close encounters I've had before.

Celadon City Gym Leader Erika:
Victreebel
: I got the first Ember off, but Victreebel poisoned Scoville. Fine. At least I can't get paralyzed. The second Ember burned it, only for it to also miss its Wrap attack. Scoville took it down with Slash.
Tangela: A matter of 2 Ember attacks and one Constrict from Tangela in-between.
Vileplume: Mega drain only slowly pushes back the inevitable, Vileplume. A slew of Ember attacks, a crit Acid, and that was it.

For my troubles, I got the Rainbowbadge and the Mega Drain TM. Oh the ability to push things, IF I COULD EVEN PUSH THINGS! So, while lacking things to push, and the thing that makes it that I can push (the Strength HM), I attempted Snorlax.

SORE LACKS OF SNORELAX
Attempt #1 was a failure. I went west of Celadon towards Route 16 for the Snorlax, and whenever it'd hit an acceptable amount of HPs to catch, it'd use Rest. He'd sleep 2, 3 turns, in which I'd bring it down, but then it'd Rest again. I managed to bring it down to about 5% HP again, but no matter how many Great Balls I tossed, the catches failed. As for Attempt #2 on Route 12... I ran out of Great Balls, and normal Poké balls just missed. Welp. Another run without a Snorlax.

GTFO: GET TO FUSCHIA, OKAY
So I've hit a bit of a dry spell in terms of encounter, and it wouldn't get much better as I made my way to Fuschia. My next valid one would be a Venonat on Route 15, which named Richie. Caught him with my last Pokéball. On Route 18, I KOed my Doduo encounter, and in the Safari Zone, my Parasect encounter ran off. Despite a pretty bad wrong turn, I was able to not forget the Gold Teeth and grab HM03, Surf, in one shot.

In other news, I've prevented myself from making a couple of dumbs, this time. I went down to Route 19 to fish for a new encounter, but I realized I had earlier run out of Pokéballs, and that my bag was full.

For the remaining available catches of my planned update... if "catches" can be used: I KOed another encounter, a poor Shellder, on Route 19. Up on the Cycle Path, Route 17, I thought I'd give a shot at fishing as well. I wound up with... a level 5 Tentacool named Shifty.

Next up, Koga and co!

• Evolved Tricky into Jolteon!
  • Grinded Route 7 for both exp and a potential encounter with a Growlithe.
  • It took over 30 minutes for a Growlithe to show up... and it used Roar. GG.
  • Time for Lavender Tower.
  • Beat Gary, using most of my team. Was much easier than the last time I faced him here... but I also didn't make terrible moves this time.
  • Climbed up the tower, KOing my Ghastly encounter.
  • Reached the Marowak, and kicked its butt with Irma.
  • Kicked Team Rocket butts, saved Mr. Fuji, was teleported out by him.
  • Obtained the Poké Flute, meaning it's Snorlax time soon!
  • But before, Erika's team needs to eat the dust.
  • I did clear the Gym out before, just to make it easier.
  • And easy it was. Erika's done: got the Rainbowbadge and the Megadrain TM.
  • With more levels under my belt, I decided to try and get a Snorlax.
  • Route 16 encounter: nope. KOed by mistake. It was a very annoying fight due to Rest.
  • Route 12 encounter: nope. Ran out of Great Balls, regular Pokéballs missed.
  • RIP Snorlax dreams.
  • Started the path to Fuschia, via Route 12.
  • takes a deep breath
  • Caught Richie the Venonat on Route 15. Finally, a catch!
  • KOed a Doduo on Route 18.
  • Safari Zone encounter, a Parasect, just ran off. Poofed.
  • KOed a Shellder on Route 19. R I P.
  • Went up to Route 17, fished, and caught a level 5 Tentacool, Shifty.
  • Huh... better than nothing? I suppose? Least I got a Surf buddy!

Level: 35
Moveset: Recover, Confusion, Disable, Psybeam

Moveset: Slash, Rage, Ember, Leer

Level: 34
Moveset: Tackle, Harden, Rock Throw, Dig

Tricky - Jolteon (Electric)
Moveset: Thundershock, Sand-Attack, Thunderbolt, Quick Attack

Level: 10
Moveset: Peck, Growl, Fly

Moveset: Absorb, Acid, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder

Last edited:

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Ah, I couldn't find Loki in the death tracker, so I got confused for a bit. Thanks for clarifying though!

You're definitely not having the best luck when it comes to encounters, but on the bright side, the battles seem to be going just fine! The Gary fight at Silph Co. can be pretty tough, so it's good that you've managed to get through unscathed. Keep it up! ^^

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Yikes, so many ko encounters! Hope that gets better. Tentacool is a great Pokémon, and one I never appreciated until forced to use it.

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
And I'm back for another update! Was about time, once again. Below, as usual, the replies, followed by the update. Enjoy!

Ah, I couldn't find Loki in the death tracker, so I got confused for a bit. Thanks for clarifying though!

You're definitely not having the best luck when it comes to encounters, but on the bright side, the battles seem to be going just fine! The Gary fight at Silph Co. can be pretty tough, so it's good that you've managed to get through unscathed. Keep it up! ^^
Thanks! About Loki, I thiiiink I got it right, but I also got very lazy and haven't doublechecked my own source. Which is my own run. I should know this! Either ways, it's been going just fine, so I'm happy even though I'm missing a ton of encounters.

Yikes, so many ko encounters! Hope that gets better. Tentacool is a great Pokémon, and one I never appreciated until forced to use it.
Indeed, missing a lot of encounters. Right now, my team is fairly stable, so I got that going for me, which is nice. I just like having backups. And I gotta say: really liking a Tentacruel on my team. Shifty's fitting in juuuust fine~!

Update 5: Ain't that just Blaine Koga-riffic​

For some reason, I feel I can now resume my ironic, meta, no-BS yeah right punny commentary. Kinda caught back up to the moment, I guess.

After not catching several Pokémon, I totally used Fury to fly me back to Pallet Viridian, where I ultimately decided to level Shifty the slow way because I forgot I didn't have a Pokémon with Surf, because I couldn't use it, because I hadn't beaten Koga. More EVs, even though I'm not really paying attention to that. I know how it works, I know it's super helpful, but I'm too lazy on the long run.

The cautious efforts have paid off! Shifty made it to 30 - and evolved into a Tentacruel - without big hurdles. I pushed on until he hit 34. Having reached my goal level of getting him to average team level, I set forth for Koga.

And since I got most of Fuchsia done, have a real quick Koga fight.

Fuchsia City Gym Leader Koga:
Koffing: Nurmat out for the Psybeam crit! OHKO!
Muk: A second Psybeam crit, and a second OHKO!
Koffing: Swapped to Dwayne, who also got a OHKO with a Dig.
Weezing: Koga used an X-Attack, and used Selfdestruct. Switching to Dwayne was a great idea, because Dig just rendered all of that completely useless. That's another type of OHKO, but an OHKO nonetheless.

Koga beaten: one! Soulbadge gotten: one! Damage taken: none. Beautiful. His Gym was easy too, with both Nurmat and Dwayne splitting the task of defeating the trainers in my way.

I flew back to Pallet, used Surf, and went down Route 21. I reached Cinnabar before realizing I hadn't encountered any new Pokémon, found a place to fish, and got a Staryu named Stormy. It's level 15, and will end likely end up as a backup.

Poké Mansion had a Grimer in store for me, Sticky. I surfed west to Route 20, where I came across no new Pokémon while on my way to Seafoam islands. I snagged a Seel - Murmaider - from those caves, however. To get an encounter, I thought of fishing once more, and unfortunately KOed a Goldeen with a crit Water Gun from Shifty. Murmaider was enough reasons to make some light changes to my team. I kept Shifty on my team, but swapped Irma out for the Seel. Let's face it, I won't really need a Grass-type on my team soon, while I'll likely add Murmaider permanently because Ice.

FIRE IS WEAK AGAINST H2O
Back to Cinnabar, so back to the mansion. I got to the key faster, this time around. Most of the encounters were handled by Murmaider, while scientists were grounded by Dwayne. I started with Murmaider as a level 31 Seel, and left with him as a 36 Dewgong. And the key. I left with the key. I had enough item slots.

At the Gym, instead of answering the questions, I just fought the trainers. Got Shifty at 35, Dwayne at 35, with Scoville sitting at 35 in case something goes wrong and I need something else that resists Fire.

Cinnabar Island Gym Leader Blaine:
Growlithe: I'm like seven levels behind but I got this. One hit from Shifty's Surf, and he was also OHKO.
Ponyta: Same deal.
Rapidash: Ohohoh. Wasn't that beautiful. Shifty had a speed advantage and hit a nice crit on Surf. Third OHKO.
Arcanine: That wasn't an OHKO! But it's alright. Shifty, again, has a speed advantage. Blaine used a Super Potion on the doggo, a mostly vain effort... as he used a second one, since Arcanine was at around 10% health. So one more Surf, and I beat the old guy.

Protip #1: Ensure enough item slots are available to get the TM.
Protip #2: Don't bank the key. You unlocked it, but it gets locked back.
Protip #3: Get ready for some grind... because next, I need to face Sabrina.

I'm not looking forward for that grind. Her highest is a 43 Alakazam, and I'm not feeling it yet. My team's now 36 (including Scoville, who's now a Charizard), except poor Tricky way below... at 35. I have plans, however. Pin Missile is super effective against Psychics, partially why Tricky's a Jolteon (the likely scenario); I could slap Fire/Ice/Thunder Punch on Nurmat (the back-up), or I could hopefully Dig it all away (the back-up to the back-up). Either ways... I'm in for some grind.

• Flew to Pallet.
  • Realized I didn't teach Surf to anyone...
  • Or even the badge to use it out combat.
  • So I taught Shifty Surf and just leveled him around, going from area to area.
  • Shifty evolved into a Tentacool!
  • Got him to 34 before taking on Koga. Even though I wasn't gonna use him.
  • Flew back to Fuchsia and entered the Gym.
  • Dealt with a big three trainers before facing Koga.
  • All four of his Pokémon went down to OHKOs, save for Weezing...
  • ... Who, already under the effect of an X-attack, used Selfdestruct...
  • ... While Dwayne was in Dig mode.
  • So technically, that's still a OHKO. Self-inflicted, but I'll take it.
  • Either ways, Koga down, Soulbadge get, TM get, Surf ability get.
  • Meaning: Blaine's next.
  • Went back to Pallet again.
  • Surfed down Route 21 without encounters.
  • Reached Cinnabar Island, retreated onto the route, and eventually found a place to fish.
  • Caught Stormy the Staryu! Who joins the PC.
  • Headed through Route 20 without encountering anything new either.
  • Got to Seafoam Island, caught a Seel named Murmaider!
  • KOed a Goldeen with a crit Water Gun when fishing, on Route 20.
  • Back to Cinnabar. Pokémon Mansion time. Will I come in as a kid and come back with a beard? Only time will tell.
  • Actually that time was not that bad. I came back as a kid. And with the key!
  • Unlocked the Gym, defeated the trainers for that sweet, sweet exp.
  • Absolutely obliterated Blaine, except the Arcanine who took three turns to properly go down. Blaine plz.
  • So not only I got the Soulbadge earlier, I also got the Volcanobadge! Woot!
  • Well I didn't get them right away, since I ran out of inventory space.
  • Headed to the PC. Dumped several items.
  • Including the key.
  • Yeah no I need the key. Had to go back, pick up the key, come back.
  • Okay NOW I have the Volcanobadge and the TM that comes with it.
  • Got the remaining level I needed on Scoville, to evolve him into a Charizard.
  • Mentally preparing for Sabrina... because I feel I'll need it.

Scoville - Charizard (Fire/Flying)
Level: 36

Murmaider - Dewgong (Water/Ice)
Moveset: Headbutt, Growl, Surf, Aurora Beam

Shifty - Tentacruel (Water/Poison)
Moveset: Acid, Surf, Supersonic, Barrier

Tricky - Jolteon (Electric)
Moveset: Thundershock, Sand-Attack, Thunderbolt, Quick Attack

Moveset: Recover, Confusion, Disable, Psybeam

QCat18

Junior Trainer
Good luck! Playing through everything is so much fun! I'll be following your progress :happyazurill:

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
League Champion
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
This is Red Version you're playing? Not Yellow? I don't know if Pin Missile will be much help when Tricky won't learn it until level 48...

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Sabrina is about using something with high Attack and physical type STAB using a strong attack while not being weak to psychic. All psychic types in her gym have no defense.

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
After way too long, here's an update. And replies. Gawd, I'm gonna start replying before posting updates because, well, I like interacting with folks. It's taking me forever to update because I'm all over the place with different games, I restarted writing, and my usual work. But I have holidays coming up, so if I'm done with this, I'm gonna give a big push into Gold.

Good luck! Playing through everything is so much fun! I'll be following your progress :happyazurill:
Thank you so much! Hopefully I'll be quicker on the updates, this time aroujnd.

This is Red Version you're playing? Not Yellow? I don't know if Pin Missile will be much help when Tricky won't learn it until level 48...
RIP ME! Thanks for the notice, I really appreciate it, actually. I keep mixing RB and Y levels ;_;... 48 was doable, but pushing it. I decided against that and went with another strategy instead.

Sabrina is about using something with high Attack and physical type STAB using a strong attack while not being weak to psychic. All psychic types in her gym have no defense.
Indeed, their defense is crap. But they're quick and can wreck a team real quick - especially that Alakazam. Thankfully, that went pretty smooth.

Update 6: Oops, it did it again...​

Not what I had planned at all. Looks like I'm terrible at remembering what early generation does what, and the Punch trio (Ice, Fire, Thunder) aren't TMs in Gen I. In regards to SPD, ATK and SP stats...
  • Tricky was considered to dish out quick damage, but doesn't have the ATK to support non-STAB moves.. which doesn't exist in Gen I (65 ATK, 123 SPD, 105 SP);
  • Murmaider was right behind him (70 ATK, 67 SPD, 100 SP, with Headbutt.);
  • Dwayne has 111 ATK, but lacks SPD (61) and SP (64). Has a decent HP (132).
I didn't even bother with Shifty (part Poison), Scoville (Slash is the most powerful attack I have on him), and Nurmat (Psychic vs. Psychic is not great).

Saffron City Gym Leader Sabrina:
Kadabra: Started with Psybeam... which also confused Dwayne. His first Dig resulted in him hitting himself. I tried to heal him, but that wasn't good enough as he got hit by another Psybeam, then hit himself again. I withdrew him for Tricky, who has a good amount of speed and defense. Enough to KO the Kadabra in two Thunderbolts, while nicely tanking a Psychic.
Mr. Mime: A Thunderbolt, followed by Mr. Mime's Double-Slap. Bad choice, Mr. Mime. Tricky barely took any damage, and hit a crit Thunderbolt after.
Venomoth: Nurmat > Psybeam, OHKO.
Alakazam: I kept Nurmat out and decided to test out Psyshic, because what is my own advice. The damage was meh, but I figured out I could tank while rescuing Dwayne from potential death. Meanwhile, Alakazam simply spammed Recover. It used Psywave, taking out about half of Dwayne's HP. I healed him again, and Alakazam used Psybeam, once again, taking out a solid chunk of health. At this point, I had two choices: attempt an Earthquake, or swap to someone more special-tanky and spam skills. I chose Earthquake. Alakazam used Psywave, leaving Dwayne at 15 HP, and Earthquake hit.

WHEW. I was so scared. I did make a good move to swap Nurmat in while I recovered on Dwayne. And I think I've cleared the toughest part of this run. Anyways, I got the Marshbadge, the Psywave TM, and I kicked her ass. Always happy to beat Sabrina. A note that it took me more time to get out of the gym, than it took me to find Sabrina.

Honestly, if it wasn't from that 50 Rhydon, I'd also go kick Giovanni's butt with my own team. Tricky gets put back in the PC for the moment. I kinda want Irma on my team for this. I'm not retiring him; I'll need him for Golbat and Flying encounters in Victory Road. My main focus will likely be Squishy, followed by Murmaider; they both know Surf, which is pretty powerful. Why Squishy, despite Poison typing against Ground? Speed, Special.

And after writing this... is where it happened again:

SAVE FILE ISSUES PART 2
I closed the emulator, reset my computer for various reasons, and lost a good chunk of play time. Not as much as last time, but enough to take a break from it.

I slowly got my team back 43-ish, giving myself a temporary exemption from death until I'd beat Sabrina again. No one died during that. I was still careful, but I wanted less pressure in case something happened. Sabrina went down like a sack of potatoes, handled entirely by Dwayne himself. The Alakazam managed a single Psywave which dealt... maybe 5 HP... so I'll take it. I'll definitely take it.

WE'RE BACK ON TRACK
Following my previous strategy, I boxed Tricky, putting my flyer instead, to fly to Viridian and reassemble the team. Team which... well, didn't make any use of Irma like I wanted to. She's underleveled, and with Poison-typing, I wanted something quick. In the end, Nurmat, Murmaider and Sticky split the grunts up. Wasn't too hard, but since I want some more levels before facing Giovanni... back to the grind!

So this concludes the update... way too long after I started it. It's kinda short, but honestly, two Sabrina fights are bound to be enough. Not that I've documented the last one, but it was done anyways.

I'll probably try to finish this over the week, so that I can start Gold during my upcoming holidays! If I don't finish it before my holidays... I'll finish it then. I'm just hype about switching games, except if I'm too hype, I'll end up wiping somewhere and I kiiinda don't wanna wipe.

I may be learning from my mistakes!
Maybe.
I never freakin' learn haha.

Anyways, more coming soon!

• Tried to plan for Sabrina.
  • Yeah, tried to. Either I don't plan enough or I plan too much. In the end I don't really follow what I do.
  • Attempted Sabrina's Gym anyways.
  • Successful attempt! Tricky and Dwayne both did great jobs, even when it came close.
  • Got the Marshbadge and the Psywave TM!
  • The biggest threat is gone. Sabrina's Alakazam hits like a truck, so I'm super happy.
  • Went back to grind because I don't feel safe, at 43-ish, against Giovanni.
  • Saved, closed the emulator... rebooted the computer...
  • Reopened a day or so after...
  • 5 hours of grinding and Sabrina-fighting are missing. WELP.
  • Took a massive break, again.
  • Decided to give it another shot, because I'm determined to finish this.
  • Grinded the team back to 43.
  • Went back in Sabrina's Gym.
  • Relied entirely on Dwayne. Good job, Dwayne!
  • Kicked a lot of butt. Even got him to 45.
  • Defeated Sabrina again!
  • Finally obtained the Marshbadge and the Psywave TM!
  • Flew back to Viridian, opting to defeat grunts inside Giovanni's Gym to level up.
  • Not enough, so I'm now preparing to grind back into the mansion.

Shifty - Tentacruel (Water/Poison)
Level: 43
Moveset: Acid, Surf, Supersonic, Barrier

Moveset: Recover, Psychic, Disable, Psybeam

Murmaider - Dewgong (Water/Ice)
Moveset: Headbutt, Growl, Surf, Aurora Beam

Moveset: Absorb, Acid, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder

Scoville - Charizard (Fire/Flying)

Level: 45

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
League Champion
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Man, save file issues are the worst. I gave up on a casual Ruby run after losing hours of progress on about four separate occasions. Great job pushing through with that, and on beating Sabrina!