Nuzlocke WindriderShiva's Generationlocke - Attempt 3!

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Did you beat Blane? I can't remember the past! Good job on Sabrina (x2) and good luck getting through the rest of the game. Are the other gens going to be on emulator too?

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
Since I won't be able to update until... possibly Friday (more looking at a Saturday update), here's a couple replies.

Man, save file issues are the worst. I gave up on a casual Ruby run after losing hours of progress on about four separate occasions. Great job pushing through with that, and on beating Sabrina!
Yep, it's pretty annoying. After losing 13 hours and then 5 hours on this run... well, I decided 5 hours wasn't worth restarting over. Went much better this time around. Really looking forward to Gold now.

Did you beat Blane? I can't remember the past! Good job on Sabrina (x2) and good luck getting through the rest of the game. Are the other gens going to be on emulator too?
I did beat Blaine! It was pretty easy too, that I recall. I'm running up to Gen 5 on emulator. Gen 6, 7 and maybe 8 (should it come out while I'm still running these) will be done on actual hardware. To be fairly honest I could run the entire thing on hardware, but said hardware has a lot of issues (like my first gen DS's touch screen doesn't work, my DS Lite's L button is semi-borked, my GBC/GBA cartridges don't hold saves and I don't have the tools to fix that.)

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
FIRST GENERATION: RED
Update 7: Brace yourselves, grind is coming​

Whew. This has been A Week™. I had to clean around the apartment, pack up for my vacation, go to appointments, work, adult, and I had little time for games. I brought my laptop, with my save file backed up on a portable HDD, and transferred all of that on my laptop.

Then the laptop broke even more than it was broken, and I spent the next couple of days trying to fix it. I gave up, the screen's FUBAR (at least for me). On top of that, I had emulation problems, in which my multi-emulator decided to follow the laptop's breaking, and stopped running the Game Boy cores bar one. I'm not liking it, I want my old setup back q.q. Anyways, I decided to live with it and push through the grind on my mom's laptop, which is not exactly a gaming laptop. But it works, I'm not complaining.

I also finally learned why my save file was screwing up. In short, my emulator only updates the save file when I close it. If it crashes, or if the computer gets rebooted and has not been closed since the last time I opened it, it does NOT update the save file. Now that I've learned this... being on a rather unstable core (because nothing else is working), I close the emulator a lot more and I'm gonna also back up a lot more. I'm not losing 13 hours of Victory Road grind like I did after losing my original 13 hours after Koga and Blaine. Though I'm 99.9% sure I closed the emulator in that stretch.

Either ways, I spoiled it, I made it to a place.

I grinded back at the Mansion to get my team to 47, then used a Rare Candy on Murmaider by mistake. Still not a bad idea. I did clear out most of the gym, so I faced like... two or three trainers I originally forgot. Giovanni said something me catching him in his gym...

I mean, he's backed in a corner. How can I not catch him?

Viridian City Gym Leader Giovanni
Rhyhorn: I had put Scoville as lead to have him gain some exp outta this. Swapped him for Shifty. Rhyhorn used Tail Whip, and Shifty retaliated with Surf. OHKO!
Dugtrio: OHKO by Surf. Whew. That one could've been nasty.
Nidoqueen: I swapped Shifty for Nurmat, and went all-out with a crit Psychic.
Nidoking: Same deal, minus the crit. Still a OHKO.
Rhydon: Shifty's Surf claims one more victim, for a third OHKO - and a fifth all-around.

With the Earthbadge in my possession, I now have all 8 badges required to move into Victory Road! And the Fissure TM. But hey, Victory Road! I can finally grind on things that are gonna give me decent exp. And I'm gonna finish this bit.

Onwards to Victory Road! Even with Gary in my way. Gary please.

Pokémon Trainer Gary
Pidgeot
: Tricky went out. Pidgeot used Quick Attack twice, the second time being a crit, but Pidgeot still fell to Thunderbold.
Rhyhorn: Back to Shifty, for a repeat of Giovanni's team. Surf = OHKO.
Growlithe: Same deal.
Exeggcute: Murmaider sounded like a choice, and it paid off. Aurora Beam was also an OHKO.
Alakazam: Psybeam hit first, dishing out nearly half of Dwayne's HP in one shot. I was thankful it wasn't a crit. Earthquake tossed Alakazam right out of the competition.
Blastoise: I healed Tricky, while Blastoise lowered its head. Thunderbolt hit, except it wasn't a OHKO this time around. Blastoise used Skull Bash, taking out about 70% of Tricky's life bar. One last Thunderbolt for the maybe 20 HP remaining on Blastoise. The match is mine!

I went back to heal and grab Fury. I first flew to Cerulean, but they don't sell Hyper Potions. So I got to Cinnabar, where I bought a ton of them. I went back to Viridian, searched for the Pokémon with Strength... only to realize I never turned in the Gold Teeth. So I flew back to Fuchsia, gave the Gold Teeth to the Warden to get HM04. I taught it to Scoville. I'm not risking a climb with an HM buddy.

While validating my badges, once I hit a patch of grass on Route 23, I caught one of my last catches: a Ditto which I named Morfie.

VICTORY RED
And I've done it: I've at least reached Victory Road. I'm really hoping that the E4 will go fine, and I'm gonna grind more than usual once I reach the top. It's kinda painful to grind there before, to be honest. What I got for my last catch makes me feel a lot safer about Victory Road itself... I got an Onix. Yeah, I really wanna avoid Explosion and Selfdestruct the hard way.

The first close call was against... a Drowzee. I thought I would OHKO it with Shifty's Surf, but the Drowzee lived and pulled a Psychic up. It wasn't a crit, and Shifty went from a full bar to 35 HP. Since I had a speed advantage, I powered through. The second thing was when I sent Dwayne against a Graveler with Earthquake. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but when I saw Earthquake being called, I'm pretty sure my heart stopped. I know for a fact I facepalmed; I forgot they carried it.

In fact, I forgot a lot of things about Gen I. Like the fact I got lost and found Moltres, and that Victory Road has a lot of Pokémon in their mid-20s, implying I may have to go back and grind at the Pokémon mansion, ugh. Not counting all the learnset shenanigans.

But good news, for I made it out of Victory Road, with all-around minimum scares... and a lot less exp than I thought.

THE GRIND, IT STARTS
For a while, I considered going back to Pokémon Mansion and grinding there. But I'm tired of the music and an all-around change of scenery was welcome. So I stuck at Victory Road to grind a bit. I'm writing this between short sessions. There's already been a few scares, namely a Machoke that used Low Kick, and the resulting damage on Dwayne was pretty... low, honestly. I'm working out a grinding pace.

Murmaider was my first 50! Go Murmaider! He's gonna be super useful for the E4, and I plan on getting him to 57-60 to just wreck Lance. (Actually forgot the gender I gave Murmaider.)

Given I can OHKO pretty much everything here, I just need to manage which Pokémon can handle what. Throw a thing at Dwayne and it dies, either to Earthquake or Dig, depending - I do need to manage PP. It's less scary to win with Nurmat, given he has Psychic and Psybeam, so I mostly stick to Venomoth, Machoke and Golbat on this guy.

Sticky has issues going for OHKOs, but Onix aren't a problem given they don't have Ground attacks to retaliate. Venomoth have access to Psybeam, but they lack STAB for it, so it's actually manageable as well. Same deal with Machoke and Golbat. Usually just missing a tiny pip of health.

Scoville and Tricky are gonna be... trickier to level. Scoville may be less handy, but I'm not canning him outright, he's gonna get levels. I'm likely to go back to the Mansion until he's learned Flamethrower, which is gonna be real soon. That Jynx has to get done with somehow, and well, he might be more reliable for her.

Tricky's going to handle Agatha, at this point. What he lacks are levels; considering he's Electric, Graveler aren't suited for him. I'm not risking Machoke, leaving him with Golbat and Venomoth. Might get him more levels at the Mansion as well.

Either ways, back to the grind!

• Prepped up for Giovanni.
  • Was worth it, complete obliteration of Giovanni's team.
  • Obtained the Earthbadge!
  • Which means I now have all 8 badges!
  • TO VICTORY ROAD!
  • But first, Gary on Route 22.
  • I mean what Gary? He went down like a sack of potatoes. Except Alakazam and Blastoise. I need more levels to handle those two.
  • Shenanigans involving me not being ready:
  • Went back to Viridian, to fly back somewhere for more items.
  • Flew to Cerulean, and rip me, they don't sell Hyper Potions.
  • Headed to Cinnabar, got what I needed, went back to Viridian in search of my Strength buddy.
  • Haha nope, I don't even have Strength. SMRT.
  • Meaning I still had to turn in the Gold Teeth. So I did that. Got my HM04 in the end.
  • Back to Viridian, this time for real real. Up towards the badge validation area in Route 23.
  • Route 23: caught a Ditto. Morfie! No idea what I'm gonna do with it, but it's in the PC.
  • Victory Road: Caught an Onix, which I forgot the name of! Not a bad replacement in case something happens to Dwayne. Let's hope not though.
  • Kinda got lost in there, as a fact. Stumbled on Moltres too. Didn't fight.
  • Had a few close calls, nothing too bad. A trainer's Drowzee used Psychic on Shifty, and a wild Graveler nearly lucked out with Earthquake on my Dwayne.
  • Reached the League, finally.
  • Started the grind while mentally planning things I probably won't even do!

Nurmat - Alakazam (Psychic)
Level: 50
Moveset: Recover, Psychic, Disable, Psybeam

Dwayne - Golem (Rock/Ground)
Level: 49
Moveset: Earthquake, Harden, Rock Throw, Dig

Shifty - Tentacruel (Water/Poison)
Level: 47
Moveset: Acid, Surf, Supersonic, Barrier

Scoville - Charizard (Fire/Flying)
Level: 42 (apparently typoed on the previous update?)
Moveset: Slash, Rage, Ember, Strength

Tricky - Jolteon (Electric)
Level: 45
Moveset: Thundershock, Sand-Attack, Thunderbolt, Quick Attack

Murmaider - Dewgong (Water/Ice)
Level: 50
Moveset: Headbutt, Growl, Surf, Aurora Beam

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
Go! Go! Go!
Here I goooooooooooo!

FIRST GENERATION: RED
Update 8: Putting the WRECK in WRECKONING​

Before grinding too much, I thought... let's check that tracker and see if I can secure a couple more catches in case.

Route 10: Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Goldeen or Slowpoke.
Route 13 and 14: No viable encounter left - they're all dupes at this point.
Power Plant: Everything but Voltorb and Electrode are viable encounters.

Route 10 gave me a Slowpoke, Lulu. If I didn't have Shifty or Nurmat, I'd place Lulu. I had a Slowpoke on my last complete Red Nuzlocke and it was one of my final team members. Amnesia really pulled its own weight. As for the Power Plant, I landed with an Electabuzz, Lam. I haven't had an Electabuzz in a while, and they're pretty fun, but I'm not keen on replacing Tricky. But still, more Pokémon in case something goes wrong.

GOTTA GRIND 'EM ALL, PART 57 OF 1283910
I spent hours getting my entire team to 57. I opted for 57 because I believe the highest foes are 62, and I might catch a level or two somewhere in there. It's a decent amount of leeway, and if everything goes well, if I managed my swaps and my items, I hope to do rather well.

My grind was spent in two places. Nurmat, Dwayne, Shifty and Murmaider were easy to level in Victory Road, while Tricky and Scoville spent some time in the Mansion before going back to Victory Road. Once I had Flamethrower, and realized I could OHKO everything with Thunderbolt, it became much easier.

After the grind sessions, I went in my PC and fussed around, gathering items and depositing others. Decided to use a Rare Candy or two, one on Nurmat, the other on Murmaider.

Finally, after 65 hours (with quite a few spent AFK), I felt ready to face the Elite 4. Team is down under.

Tricky - Jolteon (Electric)
Level: 57
Moveset: Agility, Sand-Attack, Thunderbolt, Thunder

Shifty - Tentacruel (Water/Poison)
Moveset: Acid, Surf, Supersonic, Hydro Pump

Scoville - Charizard (Fire/Flying)
Moveset: Slash, Fire Spin, Flamethrower, Strength

Dwayne - Golem (Rock/Ground)

Murmaider - Dewgong (Water/Ice)
Level: 58
Moveset: Headbutt, Rest, Surf, Ice Beam

Nurmat - Alakazam (Psychic)

I've had bad things happen to me before, so it's always scary. But there's no going back now. I'm already inside. I haven't closed my emulator since my last grind.

ELITE FOUR LORELEI
I'm not super scared of her. I have counters so it should go well. Still... there's always the odd doubt. Tricky's the one set to deal with her.

Dewgong: Thunderbolt. OHKO.
Cloyster: Thunderbolt. OHKO.
Slowbro: Thunderbolt. OHKO.
Jynx: Swap to Scoville, Flamethrower. OHKO.
Lapras: Back to Tricky, Thunderbolt, but not a OHKO. Left it in red bar, paralyzed it. Lorelei used a Super Potion, allowing for a merciless Thunderbolt.

Lorelei is down! Whew. 4 OHKOs outta 5 Pokémon. Would've been 5 if had used Thunder.

ELITE FOUR BRUNO
This guy, this guy, this guy. Supposed to be Fighting, but he has two Onix on his team; these are gonna be Shifty's deal. The rest: Nurmat, hands down.

Onix #1: Shifty's turn to shine. That Onix got OHKOed by Surf.
Hitmonchan: Nurmat's Psybeam dropped it down. OHKO!
Hitmonlee: Not risking it. Psychic. OHKO.
Onix #2: Back to Shifty for another Surf. OHKO.
Machamp: Yup, Nurmat's Psychic OHKOed it.

5 outta 5! I gotta watch my Psychic usage because I might need to rely on Nurmat a bit more.

ELITE FOUR AGATHA
This one stresses me out, but I have Nurmat. I'm so glad I have Nurmat.

Gengar #1: Psychic right away. I'm not letting it do anything. OHKO.
Golbat: Psybeam here. Critical hit! Super effective! OHKO!
Haunter: Psybeam OHKO.
Arbok: Psybeam hit first, and last, because here's another OHKO!
Gengar #2: Psychic left it A SINGLE PIXEL in red bar. Agatha used a Super Potion, so that Psybeam really hit through.

ELITE FOUR LANCE
If I wipe here I will be so, so mad. Let's see if Murmaider pulls it off.

Gyarados: Oh crap. I put Murmaider in lead. Ice Beam was super effective, but not enough to OHKO. Gyarados' Hyper Beam connected, but since it has to recharge, I swapped Murmaider out for Tricky. Thunderbolt dropped it all the way down.
Dragonair #1: Ice Beam was a crit, and therefore a OHKO.
Dragonair #2: Not even a crit, and that Dragonair got KOed too.
Aerodactyl: I really pondered swapping. Bite dished out some damage, but Ice Beam prevailed.
Dragonite: I'm a bit scared. I used a Hyper Potion on Murmaider, and ate a Hyper Beam to the face. 95 HP drop, but it was worth it! ONE HIT KO!

Holy schnapps. I blasted through it and I like that feeling. Am I scared for the Champion?
Well, you bet I am.

GARY WANTS TO FIGHT!
Yup, still scared. But Gary's gonna get his fight. Tricky goes up front.

Pidgeot: Thunder. OHKO!
Alakazam: Swap to Dwayne. It used Psychic, pulling 99 HP in damage, but Earthquake one-shot it. HAH!
Rhydon: Back to Murmaider. Surf right away. The result: Another one-shot.
Arcanine: It used Ember first, and got waved out by Surf!
Exeggcutor: Scoville's Flamethrower dented it pretty badly, and burned it. It used Barrage, hit twice for very minimal damage, got hit by the burn, before getting real crispy with Flamethrower.
Blastoise: Thunder IS SUPER EFFECTIVE! OHKO!

Enemy BLASTOISE fainted! Tricky gained 2925 exp! RED defeated GARY!
"No! That can't be! You beat my best! After all that work to become LEAGUE champ? My reign is over already? It's not fair!"
RED got P6435 for winning!

WOOOOOOH! Finally! I've beaten Pokémon Red! And not a single freakin' loss on the E4! Oh wow, that was a real fun little bout where I felt really powerful just one-shotting things left and right. I was high-key scared, especially for the Alakazam, and even more since I used Thunder instead of Pin Missile. In the long run, that's likely way worth it (even though Pin Missile's pretty devastating on Alakazam. Low, low def.)

Tricky, Gyarados Pwner - Jolteon (Electric)
Moveset: Agility, Sand-Attack, Thunderbolt, Thunder

Shifty, Rad Surfer - Tentacruel (Water/Poison)
Moveset: Acid, Surf, Supersonic, Hydro Pump

Scoville, Very Spicy Lizert - Charizard (Fire/Flying)
Moveset: Slash, Fire Spin, Flamethrower, Strength

Dwayne, Not Just A Boulder - Golem (Rock/Ground)

Murmaider, Body Bag: Check - Dewgong (Water/Ice)
Level: 59
Moveset: Headbutt, Rest, Surf, Ice Beam

Nurmat, Psy-luck - Alakazam (Psychic)
Level: 59

Wow. If it started off pretty fine... it was not an easy run. I missed several catches, either to KOs or forgetfulness. I ran into technical issues, losing a few hours of playthrough (5 this run, 18 total if we're counting the previous run). I had really dumb calls, equally dumb crits...

And I had a very solid team. I used everyone on it; they complimented each other very well. They all had their moments to shine. Do I even have an MVP? Dwayne for preventing Selfdestruct, because of the NINE kills during my previous run? Murmaider for living up to its name and bringing icy destruction from the skies against Lance? Scoville for sticking with me from the literal start to finish, including beating Brock? Nurmat for being an Abra that I caught on a Nuzlocke run and being OP? Shifty for being a pretty good powerhouse that also literally carried me through Cinnabar? Tricky for succeeding in not ending my run because Gyarados is a thing that exists, and absolutely wrecking Lorelei?

I can't seem to determine one Pokémon that was more useful than the other. Normally I have one that just goes the extra mile, but in this case, the entire team just came together exactly like I needed, after the disaster that was the previous run.

So yeah! I'm super stoked to start Gold. First update of it should go live soon. I'm pumped.

TO JOHTO, FOLKS!

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
League Champion
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Wow! That did go incredibly well. A solid Electric type is always a nice thing to have for the Kanto Elite 4. I'm super excited to see your Gold Nuzlocke, because of course Johto is my favorite region you know.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Great job! It's always fun to have the elite four go well. Feels pretty rewarding.

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
SECOND GENERATION: GOLD
Update 1: All That Glitters (but this time it's really Gold)
Wow! That did go incredibly well. A solid Electric type is always a nice thing to have for the Kanto Elite 4. I'm super excited to see your Gold Nuzlocke, because of course Johto is my favorite region you know.
Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well. Gold's my fav too, and I'm hype to play it. Wooh! Gold!

Great job! It's always fun to have the elite four go well. Feels pretty rewarding.
Thank you! And yes, it does. Low-key surprised it went this well... but with Murmaider, Lance and Blue/Gary caused almost no issue.

Gold is my favorite Pokémon game. Didn't age too well, rather annoying at times, but still my fav. My last Gold Nuzlocke was actually really fun: I took a Meganium to and through HOF, the Miltank I got early on was just amazing, I ran with an Ampharos, and even caught a natural shiny Jynx which I also took to HOF. She didn't survive, but she came in at a great time.

I have no idea what's in store for me on this run, but I really hope it's gonna be epic.

For the record, I'm not going through Kanto again, just Johto.

Like the previous run, I assigned numbers to the starters, which I'll grab based on my trainer ID's... second number.

0, 1, 2: Totodile
3, 4, 5: Cyndaquil
6, 7, 8: Chikorita
9: My own choice

The actual time I started the run at. I went down the stairs, said hi to mom, got annoyed at being told how to use the phone despite it being my 89018th run through GSC, and checked my Trainer ID.

ID? 24310. My starter is Cyndaquil!

With this info, I got my butt to Elm's lab and promptly selected Cyndaquil - a female Cyndaquil! In my usual fashion, they have common names or names I find cool. Nasreen is one of those cool names, and thus, the Cyndaquil is now named Nasreen.

Y'KNOW WHAT THIS GAME NEEDS? MORE TECH ISSUES!
I played for 20 minutes, called it a night, and booted the game the next morning. Figures my emulator's core doesn't take account for real time clock, so I gave up on it for now and just went back to an old emulator I used in the past. Gonna use this setup until I go back home in a couple days. Within those 20 minutes, I got to meet Elm, got Nasreen, reached Cherrygrove, and leveled her there.

Got Nasreen to 9 on my way to Mr. Pokémon's house. I got to meet the esteemed Prof Oak, was pretty shoved a Pokédex and an egg at, and told to bring it to Elm. Okay, fine, I'll do it. Probably won't use Togepi, but well. Could always use a backup, never know. But I'm not walking back all the way to New Bark Town from wherever it hatches after the require thousand-something steps, oh no. I sometimes do, during more casual playthroughs, but I'm not feeling it.

Huh, spoilers for around Azalea or Goldenrod, I guess. It's usually where I reach enough steps to hatch it.

On my way back from Mr. Pokémon's house, Nasreen hit level 10, so I should have a bit of an advantage over ???. Not that my Nuzlocke has started yet anyways. He sent out Totodile, and spammed Scratch for a couple turns until it hit Leer, then went back to Scratch. I spammed Tackle, missed once, and it still took 4 whole Tackles to bring it down.

??? says he's going to be the best Pokémon trainer. Well, I got news for that kid: that's gonna be me. Now that I've stated that, watch me get rekt.

I walked to Elm's lab and had the good ol' chit-chat with the police officer. I should've ran with it and named my rival ???, but I went with Silver instead since it TOTES WAS THE NAME ON THE BACK OF HIS CARD. I handed the egg to Elm, who flung back because much egg, wow, and I was told that I could become a Champion. Champion material: a kid who walks a town over with a Pokémon and comes back with an egg, but without a scratch on himself.

I'll take it.

I was shuffled out of Elm's lab by his assistant, who handed me Pokéballs. And that means...

THE RUN IS ON!
My first catch, on Route 29, is a male sentret named Rin. Route 30's catch is a male Caterpie which I named Cal. Took my sweet time to get Nasreen and Rin to 11 and 10 respectively, before moving onto Route 31. These were the last things I did during my vacation away from my apartment.

I got back on Aug. 23, and ended up playing other games until the next day, so today, Aug. 24. I reimported the save file into my usual emulator; that booted fine. Had to mess with the real time clock options, but after that, I was set to go.

I made it to the Pokécenter in Violet Town before going back for my next catch, a Bellsprout named Belmont. Also got hold of Wade's phone number for potential items, only to remember it's Crystal and HGSS. Whoops.

WOBBLY TIMES IN VIOLET CITY
Since I have access to Violet, and you never have enough exp, I started to climb Sprout Tower. Easy peasy, I have Nasreen who barely takes any damage, but still takes some because she takes 2 Tackles to bring anything down, on average. Eventually she hit level 12 and learned Ember, making my life a little easier.

I keep forgetting there are also wild Pokémon within the tower. My first wild encounter in Sprout Tower was a female Rattata, Ophie, whom I caught with my last Pokéball. Don't like being without Pokéballs. I don't see shinies often, but I hunt them, and I wouldn't wanna miss a wild one.

On reaching the top floor, I healed up a bit before tackling the sages around for extra exp. Swapped between Belmont and Nasreen to get Belmont some levels. Silver's also on the top, claiming the sages here are weak. Says the guy who got whipped earlier. Classic SILVER™. In all fairness they're pretty easy, but Sage Li does make a point: Silver's an ass.

Talking about that fight, kind of got a close call facing Sage Li, where I sent Rin against the Hoothoot. Hoothoot scored a crit against Rin, and brought him down to 3 HP. Still, I won thanks to Nasreen, and got my HM05. I don't feel I'm gonna need it, but not a bad thing to have. It's an accuracy drop... that I haven't use in battle in a long, long time. Unlike Silver, I got praise from Li because I TAKE CARE OF MY POKÉMON. I'm totally not calling Silver out here, now why would I do that.

FLIGHT PREP
EIther ways, I started prepping up for the Falkner fight. That illegal Pidgeotto can go flock off, I'm gonna win this. I grabbed berries from the nearby trees, including back on Route 29, bought a few Potions, and got Rin to level 12. Then I caved in, and decided to level Nasreen until she evolved into a Quilava, at level 14. Didn't take too long. I even considered getting Rin to those levels, but I think I'll be fine.

Next update: the gym fight, then more stuff like hopefully catching a Mareep and keeping it throughout the run, and potential "well" puns.

• Setup a way to determine my starter. Assigned numbers to them, basing the final result on my trainer ID's second number.
  • Booted the game, set the time, said hi to mom, raged at the phone.
  • Found out I'd get a Cyndaquil!
  • Waddled to Elm's lab and picked Nasreen, a female Cyndaquil.
  • More tech issues, forcing me to swap to another emulator until the end of my vacation.
  • Leveled Nasreen to 9 before reaching Mr. Pokémon's house.
  • Oak happened, Mr. Pokémon happened, egg happened.
  • Oh, Pokédex happened too! Mmmm Dex.
  • Left to bring that Mystery Egg (yeah right) to Elm.
  • ??? fought me outside of Cherrygrove, and I won, because reasons.
  • Still, the dude finds me weak. Whatever.
  • Back at Elm's lab, I had a talk with the cop.
  • The dude's name is SILVER.
  • Regrets: I should have named him ???.
  • Handed EGG to Elm.
  • Much egg, such mysterious, wow.
  • Got released.
  • Got my Pokéballs from Elm's assistant:
  • The Nuzlocke rules have now come in effect!
  • Caught a male Sentret, Rin, on Route 29.
  • Caught a male Caterpie, Cal, on Route 30.
  • My vacation ended so I flew back home. Messed a bit with my current emulator, nothing bad.
  • Caught a male Bellsprout, Belmont, on Route 31.
  • Climbed Sprout Tower for exp and stuff.
  • Caught a female Rattata, Ophie, in the Sprout Tower.
  • Faced Sage Li and got HM05. In your face, Silver.
  • Started prepping for Falkner's fight. Grabbed berries, Potions.
  • Leveled Rin to 12 and Nasreen to 14.
  • Nasreen evolved into a Quilava!

Rin - Sentret (Normal)
Level: 12
Moveset: Tackle, Defense Curl, Quick Attack

Nasreen - Quilava (Fire)
Level: 14
Moveset: Tackle, Leer, Smokescreen, Ember

Belmont - Bellsprout (Grass/Poison)
Level: 10
Moveset: Vine Whip, Growth

Cal - Caterpie (Bug)
Level: 5
Moveset: Tackle, String Shot

Ophie - Rattata (Normal)
Level: 5
Moveset: Tackle, Tail Whip

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
League Champion
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Ah, you've got the best starter available on one of the best games. This will be a run of high culture indeed, so I hope it goes well. I wish you'd decided to use that Caterpie because I quite like Butterfree too, but it's your run XD

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Nice start to things. Good luck and stay away from those self-destructs! Any reason there's no Dark Cave encounter (unless I just missed that)?

Amethyst

Rookie Trainer
Congrats on beating Red. That team that you had was pure gold. Speaking of which, Bellsprout and Quilava make for a good start to a Johto team! I look forward to seeing how this goes.

Any reason there's no Dark Cave encounter (unless I just missed that)?
I was wondering about this, and Route 46 as well, until I remembered that Shiva can't use the best encounter out of those places: Geodude. Sure, Crobat exists, and is a boss, but that level of friendship is SUCH A PAIN to get in G/S/C.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
I was wondering about this, and Route 46 as well, until I remembered that Shiva can't use the best encounter out of those places: Geodude. Sure, Crobat exists, and is a boss, but that level of friendship is SUCH A PAIN to get in G/S/C.
I didn't see that Golem was in the HoF team and was therefore out. Since Tentacool is also out for the same reason, early water could be a problem later on.