Monotype Worst type? We'll see... A Pokemon Sword Ice monotype

Amethyst

Junior Trainer
Hey, all! I finally got a Switch Lite and a copy of Pokemon Sword, and even though I just beat the game, I decided I had one more thing to do: an Ice monotype challenge. Monotypes are my favorite challenge to do, and thanks to the Wild Area, this is the first game where you can really attempt an Ice monotype. Ice is arguably the worst type in the game: sure, it is decent offensively, but it has SO MANY weaknesses and basically 0 resistances, making it absolute garbage defensively. This is made worse in Pokemon Sword, as 3 of the 8 gyms are strong against Ice, the villain and his henchmen use a type strong against Ice, and the Champion's ace Pokemon (among others on his team) is super-effective against Ice. Oh, and the Dragon gym leader? Yeah, his ace is also super-effective against Ice. I am also starting with Sobble, to make Hop potentially a difficult fight. This is going to be... interesting.

First off, the official forum rules for Monotype challenges:

1. Once you choose a type, you need to stick with it for the whole playthrough!

2. You can't use two Pokemon from the same evolution family. If you use Poliwhirl, you can't also use Poliwrath, etc.

3. This is less of a rule, but be sure that the type you choose is realistic for the game you choose. For example, Sinnoh has a lack of fire types, so doing a fire monotype in Diamond might not be the best decision.

4. If a Pokemon is not currently the type you chose but will be in the future, you can still use it. This means that if you're doing a fire monotype, you could use Fletchling because it will become a fire type when it's fully evolved.

5. Dual types are allowed!

6. If your starter isn't viable for you to use, you can use it until you're able to catch a Pokemon for the type you chose. After you catch that Pokemon, your starter needs to be put away and not used again.

7. You are allowed up to two trades total for your challenge. This includes trading eggs or Pokemon you normally couldn't get and in-game trades. You may evolve a Pokemon via trade as many times as you would like.

I am thinking of tweaking rule #2, and saying that both Glalie and Froslass are allowed. Feedback on that one?

Further, I am going to say that Dynamaxing (outside of any max raids I want to do in the Wild Area) is not allowed. This means no Dynamaxing for gym leaders, Eternatus, or Champion's Cup battles.

Anyway, I hope that this goes well! I feel that this will easily be the toughest Monotype I have done, and I did a Gen-1 Poison monotype once. Let me know what you think about potential strengths and pitfalls for any potential team I have, especially since I am unlikely to be able to get Alolan Vulpix/Ninetails, and won't have access to Lapras until very late, and even then as a 1% fishing encounter.

Sasha

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Strengths:
- Good team synergy. Gives you two Snow Warning options :abomasnow::vanilluxe:. Bestowed hail-based abilities (Ice Body, Slush Rush, and Snow Cloak) on most team options. Powers up Blizzard when you get it too.
- Quick evolutions for early team members. Accesses a Water Stone for Cloyster :cloyster: and a Dawn Stone for Froslass :froslass: immediately upon entering the Wild Area.
- Galarian Darmanitan :galariandarmanitan:. Deserves its own line. Steamrolls everything.
- A physical wall :avalugg:, although late, for this game's phyiscal-attacking bias.

Weaknesses:
- Cannot easily setup. Faces problematic attacks constantly.
- As stated, the entire Champion battle. Picked Grookey :grookey: randomly. Meant a Steel, Fire, or Fighting move on every single opposing Pokemon.

Should be fine to use Glalie :glalie:. Sees little reason to, though. Filled up the team without issue.

Good luck.

Amethyst

Junior Trainer
After making a new profile on my Switch, I started by naming myself Yuki, the Japanese word for snow, and a name that I just like in general. As mentioned before, I picked Sobble so that Hop would have Scorbunny, and potentially be more difficult. I cleared the way to the Professor's house, got got my letter allowing me to participate in the gym challenge, and gained access to the Wild Area. None of the areas where I could catch a Pokemon had snow, but I was able to fish for a Shellder. The first one I saw and caught not only had Skill Link, but was Adamant as well. Talk about your good signs. I decide on a naming theme of weather phenomena, and name him Drizzle.

Not satisfied with only having the one Pokemon on my team, I decide to do the time warp, and start fiddling with my Switch's clock. This gives me a few more encounters, namely two Snorunt, Fog (who will become a Froslass) and Cloudburst, a Snover I name Flurry, a Vanillite named Coldsnap, and a Delibird I name Doldrums.

With a team of Ice-types, I sign up for the Gym Challenge. Of course, my number is 0, the freezing point of water in Celsius. Next up: the first gym!

The current team:
:vanillite: Coldsnap
Level 11, Timid Nature
I see some definite promise in her, especially with such a good nature.

:snover: Flurry
Level 15, Quirky Nature
Probably going to be one of my early powerhouses, since I did a few low-level Max raids and got the TR for Seed Bomb already. I am worried about the extra weaknesses the Grass type provides, though.

:snorunt: Cloudburst
Level 14, Mild Nature
If he sticks around, he will become a Glalie. I will probably replace him with Eevee soon, though.

:shellder: Drizzle
Level 15, Adamant Nature
Drizzle is the rizzle dizzle. Not much to look at yet, but man, once he evolves, he will be a top threat on this team. Shell Smash + Skill Link Icicle Spear is no joke.

:snorunt: Fog
Level 16, Quirky Nature
The first of the two Snorunt I found, the harder of the two to catch, and likely the one who will stick around longer. I am really looking forward to seeing her as a Froslass.

:delibird: Doldrums
Level 9, Bashful Nature
He... exists? Any utility he will have will be due to taking neutral damage from Fighting moves. Once I find myself almost anything else, I am replacing him. I don't have that Swinub yet, so he can ride along and absorb some exp for now.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Level 9, Bashful Nature
He... exists?
That's probably the nicest thing anyone's said about Delibird since that Christmas episode of the anime lol.

That Shellder, though.
Arceus was looking dow on on you, for sure. Adamant Skill Link is going to be terrifying.
Good luck with this! Looking forward to how well this team does, for sure!

Amethyst

Junior Trainer
That Shellder, though.
Arceus was looking dow on on you, for sure. Adamant Skill Link is going to be terrifying.
Thanks, I totally agree. I can't wait to see what kind of damage he can do.

Route 3 went pretty well, mostly just getting some experience across the team. Doldrums actually helped(!) when a trainer had a Fighting type that was getting a little friskier than I would have liked. Taking neutral damage instead of super-effective damage was quite nice, and Swift was a good enough attack to get the job done in a couple of hits. I saved before the mine, and set the game down for the day. When I came back, I checked the weather in the Wild Area, and as luck would have it, conditions were right for Swinub to spawn! Shortly thereafter, Warmfront the Swinub joined the team.

The mine was a little scary, with the prevalence of Rock and Fighting types. I think I should get used to typing versions of that sentence. The fight against Bede was surprisingly tough. My team is pretty frail at the moment, especially on the Special side, so his Psychic types hit quite hard. Once out of the mine, I tracked down an Eevee, and Sunny joined the squad. Milo wasn't that difficult of a fight. Coldsnap did faint, but that was more due to user error on my part.

The team (this time with moves!)
:vanillite: Coldsnap, level 18, F
Timid nature
Astonish
Harden
Taunt
Icy Wind

:snorunt: Fog, level 19, F
Quirky nature
Astonish
Leer
Double Team
Ice Shard

:snover: Flurry, level 19, F
Quirky nature
Ice Shard
Leer
Seed Bomb
Light Screen

:swinub: Warmfront, level 17, F
Rash nature
Tackle
Mud-Slap
Ice Shard
Bulldoze

:eevee: Sunny, level 17, M
Calm nature
Tail Whip
Sand Attack
Quick Attack
Baby-Doll Eyes

:shellder: Drizzle, level 19, M
Adamant nature
Water Gun
Rock Blast
Ice Shard
Whirlpool

Still pretty excited for this team: I don't think I've used any of these on a playthrough before, which for me is saying something. Question before I go; what is your favorite Ice-type Pokemon?

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Glaceon :glaceon: by far. Never found a real spot for them, unfortunately. Restricted Technical Records to one unique Technical Record per Pokemon. Seemed impractical to pick Ice Beam or Blizzard. Shuts down their only chance at something besides Ice moves. Balked at the 1% wild encounter rate too.

Waited for the level 60 Glaceon. Settled on a Baton Pass loadout. Served only as a backup in case of untimely criticals, though.

Amethyst

Junior Trainer
Well... about time for an update, don't you think?

We made our way over to Hulbury, with very little of note happening along the way. I did find out that Doldrums can learn Seed Bomb, so decided to take him along instead of Warmfront to the gym. I thought that Flurry would handle this gym with ease, but Dynamax Dreadnaw ended up hitting surprisingly hard, taking both Flurry and Doldrums down (why did I think Delibird could be useful?), before Drizzle finished things off. I may regret my decision to avoid Dynamaxing in gym battles.

The trip back to Motostoke was uneventful. Before braving the gym, though, I figured I would mess around in the Wild Area a bit, mostly to see if I could luck into some cool items. Turned out, I could! I didn't know before this that you can, in fact, access the ENTIRE WILD AREA before beating that gym, presumably even before becoming an official gym challenger, meaning I had access to the Digging Duo, which meant Evolution Stones. They found a Dawn Stone, which immediately turned Fog into a Froslass. There was also a guaranteed Water Stone that I picked up, and shortly thereafter turned Drizzle into a Cloyster.

Shell Smash, along with Rock Blast and Razor Shell, turned the Motostoke Gym, which should be a scary fight for an Ice-type trainer, into the Moto-joke Gym. It was a sweep. Razor Shell took out the first two, and Rock Blast ended G-max Centiscorch. Next up, I get some more encounters, and continue my pestering the Digging Duo for evolutionary items!

So... yeah. I have continued to play this (I am actually approaching the Ballonlea Gym at this point), and am bad at taking notes. All I can say is that the team is the same as before, though their levels were more around 25-26. The main changes to moves were Drizzle's moveset, which became his likely end-game set of Shell Smash, Rock Blast, Razor Shell, and Icicle Spear, and Fog's moves, which became Hex, Will-o'-Wisp, Psychic, and Icy Wind.

Question: What is your favorite Sword or Shield Gym?