Xenoblade Chronicles

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
This is a thread to discuss the Xenoblade series. Discussion of Xenogears and Xenosaga is also welcome.

I'm thinking of getting Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sometime in the future but I've heard mixed opinions on the English dubbing. I'll have no problem if it only starts off bad, which appears to be the case according to a few reviews, but for anyone who has played the game, what point would you say the dubbing gets better? I'd really like to decide whether I should play in English or Japanese and I want as many opinions as possible from people who have played.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
This is my kind of thread

Gonna spiral off onto a rant immediately here, Xenoblade 2's English voice acting is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Rex takes a lil while to get used to and the only real problem with his voice is that his voice actor cannot yell. None of the main characters have bad voices, its only really some of the random blades that are god awful, and I can't even remember off the top of my head who they could be. Ofc my opinions are my own but I've had no problems other than these.
In other xenoblade related rantings, Zeke is the greatest character ever conceived and nobody will convince me otherwise. Is there a more stylish character? No. There is not.
I haven't played anything before Xenoblade Chronicles but I do aim to give Xenosaga/Gears a try one day. Got plenty of stuff to play ATM so it will not be for a while.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I tried Xenoblade 2, but found the combat too confusing to stick with it for more than ten hours. As for 1, I’m still conflicted on which version to choose. The Wii version looks nicer, but 3D has the portability aspect.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey. I finally finished playing XC1 a few weeks ago and it was nothing short of wonderful, I haven't played X or 2 yet though (X is glaring at me from my shelf though) so I still feel kinda underqualified to talk in this thread.

With that said, I also want to replay 1 already to (1) see if there any story details that I wouldn't have gotten until I was finished with the game, because it's been implied to me that there are, (2) to see how much easier the game is now that I know how to play it - I didn't learn how to use chain attacks until about the 60 hour mark - and (3) because it was just that good. 80 hour time investment, though.

As for 1, I’m still conflicted on which version to choose. The Wii version looks nicer, but 3D has the portability aspect.
I haven't played the 3DS version but I feel like there are a lot of areas where a screen the size of a 3DS would not be pleasant. With that said, on a bigger screen you can start to see the seams if you get too close to things.

(Also, the 3DS version has this).

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
(Also, the 3DS version has this).
Damn, I wish Xenoblade 2 had that. All I have is the event theater, which I use quite frequently because I often miss details in cutscenes. I also like how the event theater allows you to choose the weather and time of day for certain scenes.

As someone who played Xenoblade X, here's my opinion, I guess.
Many critics said the story was poor, and many people said it was meant to be character-driven, but I think everyone just has the wrong idea of X entirely.
  • You have a customizable avatar, and customizable characters often come with a certain set of complications in a story-driven game. With so many voice options available, it would take too much money to pay all those voice actors to say the same lines. In many other games with voices, you can't even have something as simple as having other characters address them by name. Fire Emblem Awakening is the only game I can think of where the customizable avatar even had their own lines of dialogue.
  • There was a ton of emphasis on communication features. You could recruit other players on your team from pretty much anywhere in the world, take on missions or just explore. There is also a large cast of side characters within the game, many that you could miss in the main story.
Both of these points tells me that Xenoblade X is meant to simulate an MMORPG of sorts, while 1 and 2 are purely single-player. I didn't have access to Xenoblade 1 so I watched Chuggaaconroy play it, and he mentioned at one point that he found it difficult to find breaks in the main story so he could go do all these side quests. I think I felt the opposite with X. The story quests were done in such a way that you could easily break off and do whatever you wanted without messing up the story's pacing. For the most part, that was exactly what I was doing: spending hours getting lost in doing my own thing before continuing with the main story. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but that's one of those weird things I love about MMORPGs.

My other thoughts about X:

• In terms of combat, I feel X is a little more fast-paced and fluid in ground combat than 2. Skells felt a little wonky to use at times. The thing that I really loved the most was the appendages. It added such an interesting layer of depth to most battles. All enemies have different parts of their body that you can target and destroy (for example, both arms, or wings if they have any). If an appendage gets destroyed, they won't be able to use any arts associated with that appendage, and they also have a chance of dropping various items depending on which appendages you destroy before they die.
  • To add on to that, I really love the design and diversity in the enemies. You have enemies that walk or fly just like in the other Xenoblade games, but there are also enemies that jumpscare you if you get too close, and sometimes you see it coming but many times you don't. Is that a flower? Nope, it's a sacrifole. Is that a flower? Nope, it's a germivore. What a nice hideout! Crap, a Milsaadi jumped down from the ceiling. Crap, Barnabas the Despot spotted me, I am definitely going to die. Almost every enemy is also bigger than the player to some degree, so you really get to observe their behavior and appearance.
  • The world itself was a little bland at times. Noctilum was my least favorite continent because it's a prime example of the idea "less is more". Sure it's a pretty looking area, but it's so densely packed that it's hard to actually navigate yourself sometimes. I do like how it evolves as you progress through it though. NLA as a city is pretty expansive, for better or worse. Compare it to Torigoth from Xenoblade 2. Torigoth has many twists and turns in the village, and it's hard to know where everything is at first, but all the NPCs are out and in easy-to-see spots. Once you actually get used to the village's layout, You could find everything easily. NLA on the other hand is a city with a very simple layout: four districts in a block format, so it's easy to know where to go given a general location. But there are so many places for NPCs to be hiding, between containers, behind buildings, on top of buildings, back alleys, etc. that you can never be confident that you've spoken to absolutely everyone. On one hand it always makes you feel like there's more to discover, on the other hand it's terrible for completionists.
  • There isn't a whole lot in regards to shops. When I saw that there was a commercial district, I expected to be able to go shopping there and buy stuff but no. All shopping is done through terminals on Armory Alley. You can buy weapons and armor and some skell parts but other than that, credits are kinda useless. Miranium should have been the currency because that's what you use more.
  • The side quests were amazing. The side quests in 2 have great storylines, but I think X has better side quest storylines than 2. In fact, I'd go so far as to say X has better side quest storylines than 1. A lot of side quests in X are simple go defeat this monster or collect this resource, but then you get a side quest like Definian Downfall, which has a storyline that really makes you think.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
@Wren I'm glad to see you have a positive look towards XCX! It gets a bad rap because of its wonky main story but that doesn't make it a bad game by any means-
I really like being able to choose which paths I want to go down: Both as a BLADE member and in terms of my class and skills. I like almost every member of the cast, especially Lao and L, and HB gives me a good laugh as well just for being a cocky *******. I wish it could be rereleased on the switch so I could put in the time and finish it because I don't see myself returning to the WiiU for... well, mostly any reason.

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Well, I just finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and have now gotten a few hours into Torna.
"Incoming!" is one of my favorite tracks from the game, but I feel like Rex vs Malos was a much more epic opening battle than Lora vs Addam. That being said, I really love the jazzy new battle theme:
And, uhh... I'm guessing Addam is our new resident Zekenator.

Giron

Literal Rant
AKA
Brandon
Time Zone
AEST (GMT/UTC +10)
3DS FC
3840-6760-9669
Switch FC
SW-6946-6396-3973
Why did I not post in this sooner... I just keep getting reminded I still haven't finished XCX.

Probably because I was so terrible at that Chapter 10 boss fight and kept trying to hit the centre instead of the appendages, my god. At least I actually beat the damn thing eventually. I think I'm somewhere... probably up to doing the requirements for Chapter 11 or something - I haven't played in a long while and I'm busy with uni and stuff so I can't really play anyway.

Anyway, looking up certain videos reminds me of stuff. Like the freaking Telethia. Or L's famous Asscaves line.

In other news, because of the recent direct, the original Xenoblade is getting a Switch port - featuring updated graphics and the Bionis' Shoulder! Yeah. The Bionis' Shoulder. Fun times.

Siddhar

Yoom...Tah!
AKA
Sid
Time Zone
IST
I tried Xenoblade 2, but found the combat too confusing to stick with it for more than ten hours. As for 1, I’m still conflicted on which version to choose. The Wii version looks nicer, but 3D has the portability aspect.
Wait for the Switch one, good graphics apart, it's got an epilogue which may (mostly) connect it to XC2.
Anyway, I am playing the 3Ds version and am enjoying it a ton, the story, the world, the OST, the voice acting and even the battle system.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Oh right, the Switch remaster. Xenoblade Chronicles is probably going to end up holding the honor of being the first video game I've bought twice. We've just got to survive another two months.

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
It comes out the day after my birthday. :/

To be honest, I'm not certain if I'll purchase the game or not. On one hand, I already know the main story and I don't have the time nowadays to sink so many hours into a game as huge as Xenoblade. On the other hand, epilogue chapter.

If the Xenosaga remaster wasn't scrapped, I would buy that for sure though.