Your Favorite Pokemon Nicknames

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Alright, so nicknaming the Pokemon we catch can be a big part of our Pokemon journey. They help us bond with our Pokemon in a unique way, and we'll better remember the Pokemon we used because of it. What are some of your favorite nicknames that you've given your Pokemon? Is there any story behind them or are they just random?

So I have two that I want to give a shoutout to, both of which came from my playthrough of Black:
-First one is Kilzpteryx the Archeops. The instant I saw Archen I thought of the archeopteryx, currently the oldest known bird, and so I decided to add the suffix of "pteryx" to my name. It works very well in my opinion. :archeops:
-Second one is Beefy Lad the Conkeldurr. I actually came up with this from getting a Conkeldurr in Pokecord long before touching Black. idk why, but that's just what Conkeldurr looks like to me. I love it. :conkeldurr:

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i named my partner eevee in Lets Go "sweet bean" just cuz it's the first thing i thought of and now it's one of my favorite nicknames ever

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i named a shiny male butterfree Beyoncé

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
On Showdown, I thought of BaconBlitz for Emboar, and I love it.
I also name all my Quagsires Squishy, because they look so daggum squishy.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I don't normally like to give my Pokemon nicknames in-game, but an exception is Shiny Pokemon, which I will always nickname to show they're special. When I got a shiny Ponyta on Diamond I nicknamed it Blue Flare, because of the color of its mane. Imagine my surprise, then, when Gen V introduced a move called Blue Flare! I've also got a Weezing named LikeAZubat, because of its color palette, and an Aggron named Evil Eye, because the most noticeable feature of its shiny coloration is that its normally light blue eyes become red.

This wasn't actually its nickname, but when I played Moon I would casually refer to my Araquanid as Spider Tank.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
I don't remember what game it was, but one time I add "bro" to the species name of the HM Pokemon I was using. Bro-barel, Ae-bro-dactyl.

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt

this nickname is the only reason i like archen and archeops it’s just so perfect i love it

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
I always nickname my Gyarados "Soda Ray G". It's Gyarados backwards, but it sounds surprisingly cool :)

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
I like naming things after historical figures or mythology. Bonus points if I can do both for a single pokemon simultaneously. A recent example would be Vlad Tepes for an Axew, because The Impaler was also called "Dracula" which literally translates to son of a/the dragon. Vlad II was Vlad Dracul, which means "The Dragon".

Last edited:

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Have a shiny Cranidos named Reptar. He a sweetie pie.

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
can be whatever
As for myself, I have two:
  1. Back in the middle school, I once named a Wooper in my Emerald game "Woopie". Sounds basic tho, but it became a silly one because one of my classmate who happened to be a Pokemon fan called me "Woopie" thanks to that one Wooper.
  2. I once caught a male Paras (now Parasect) in my Moon playthrough. I nicknamed everyone there after musicians and composers, preferably the classical ones. In this case, I named the Paras(ect) "Beethoven", taken after Ludwig van Beethoven. He may not be a shiny or anything, but he was my MVP in the water trial with totem Wishiwashi, so I tend to casually call him "Baethoven" from that point onward.

Last edited:

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
Bubbles the Swampert. Stupid name, but for some reason it stuck and now it's kinda special.

Also I once named a Snorlax after me (because I was naming them after people and better to call myself fat than someone else), and it turned into a fun part of my team.

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
During my casual playthroughs, I tend to not bother with nicknames. For Nuzlockes and other challenges that require naming, I often opt for random, short names, and sometimes I'll follow a theme. Some names kinda stuck for specific Pokémon, like...
- Male Totodile: Elvis
- Male Treecko: Levi
- Any Geodude: Hammerfall
- Female Charizard: Rika
- Male Zubat: Frank

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
There were a LOT of nicknames that I used to give things that I think are the dumbest things ever now. Most of them were just lame puns like "sbn the espeon" and "omamasnow the abomasnow," because if you didn't have one of those you were never a teenager. I can only think of two that I still like today.

- Tongue Tied the Greninja. I came up with it myself. When I learned that it was like the most common name for Greninja ever I was pretty annoyed.
- Radiance the Dragonite, named after this thing

Flo

Spectacular Genie Superstar
Time Zone
BST
most of my nicknames have meaning behind them, and are carried between different pokemon of the species. for example, all my Woopers are called Legion.

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
I used to never name my Pokemon when I was younger because I wanted to feel like I was in the anime, where most of the protagonists didn't name their Pokemon. I always named Vulpix/Ninetales Kitsune, it's pretty self explanatory.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
UTC-05:00
I'm usually terrible at nicknames and end up using something generic like Inferno or Aqua, but there are a few I'm fond of. Margarine for Butterfree, Mozilla for Ninetales/Zapdos, Tesla for Magnemite family, Maelstrom for Lugia, Fawkes for Ho-Oh, Laplace for Ditto.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I have a Shiny Amoonguss that I nicknamed MasterBallx3 and a Shiny Floatzel that I called WhiteWeasard, supposed to be a pun on weasel and wizard. Again, both nicknames inspired by their shiny coloration.

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
I always nickname my Pokemon, even though I often can't think of good names. I guess some good ones I can remember are Crusty the dry skin Toxicroak, Jeb the Blastoise, and Iona the Magnezone.

writing them all here actually i don't think any of them are good lol