Your thoughts on Gen 7 as a whole?

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
Interpret this question however you'd like! :> Whether you've played just SM, or just USUM, or both, what impressions did Gen VII leave on you?

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So I kinda went on a long talk about it when this thread was "made" on the previous forum, but in my eyes, Gen VII is quite reminiscent of Gen V in the sense - two games, and it boils down to which you would rather have, a game with a story with well developed characters that grow throughout (original) or a game that essentially removes the plot to the point where it can be seen as barely even a story at all at times, but attempts to make up for that with gameplay that's much more involved, including more Pokemon and features (Ultra). I made it very clear on those forums that I'm a big fan of Ultra.

That being said, while there were things about this generation that it's not that hard to see why people disliked (SOS battles especially in the original, the Rotom Dex especially in Ultra, pacing that can get screwy at times, and other matters), I think the good outweighed the bad in this one for me. There was a lot to like about this generation, including the Pokemon, the characters, and just what there was to do. So yeah, I was happy with this generation, even if it feels like it's bound to not be remembered quite as fondly by many.

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
tbh the only thing i liked about gen 7 is the story and the pokémon, the rest is a huge disappointment imo

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
I feel like kind of the minority that actually liked Gen 7, for the most part.

Like, the characters are interesting (I liked Kukui, the Trial Captains and the Island Kahunas), the Pokemon are nice (although the inclusion of Ultra Beasts is debatable, but I don't mind them), and I actually didn't mind the SOS mechanic because it made it significantly easier to obtain shiny Pokemon. So Gen 7 to me introduced tons of cool things! Team Skull is also a breath of fresh air since they feel like a parody of the evil teams that we've constantly been exposed to in the past, so that's nice.

But I see why people had concerns with it. Cutscene length is off-putting for a Pokemon game and Lillie might not be up your alley since she's always going to be tagging along the player, for better or worse. SM had virtually no post-game whatsoever aside from the Battle Tree which may or may not be satisfactory depending on the individual.

I've personally yet to actually finish USUM and go into the Rainbow Rocket storyline, but I've actually heard it wasn't bad at all so I'm kind of intrigued.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I really enjoyed the games. SM had a great story, and I liked a lot of the additions to USUM. It definitely wasn't perfect (e.g. the Rotom Dex and the way the story was changed in USUM) but I had a really good experience. The issue that most people have with cutscenes or handholding can be annoying, but overall I don't care a ton about those and enjoyed playing the games.

Also I love Cosmog and the other UBs so there's that too :hmmazurill:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I adored these games. The new Pokémon were great, the characters were unique and played off of each other well, and the music was sublime. If the postgame was a meatier and there weren’t so many cutscenes, it’d be my favorite generation.

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
tbh the only thing i liked about gen 7 is the story and the pokémon, the rest is a huge disappointment imo
ok but i actually hated the pokemon and story

gen 7 is messy. i think that they tried too hard to be original and it ended up being really boring. with usum, it became even more apparent when i was struggling to find anything fun because it’s so similar to sm. a sequel game shouldn’t start being new once you’re almost done. literally i got so bored with it, i didn’t even bother to finish the third island. iirc, i got to the electric trial and was like “**** this i’m done”

it’s so unmemorable and boring. hell, i’d even go as far as saying i like gen 1 better, and that’s saying a lot coming from me.

i think they need to turn around and look back on what they were previously doing and take inspiration from that. i know people wanted something new or whatever, but this gen sucked imo.

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
ok but i actually hated the pokemon and story

gen 7 is messy. i think that they tried too hard to be original and it ended up being really boring. with usum, it became even more apparent when i was struggling to find anything fun because it’s so similar to sm. a sequel game shouldn’t start being new once you’re almost done. literally i got so bored with it, i didn’t even bother to finish the third island. iirc, i got to the electric trial and was like “**** this i’m done”

it’s so unmemorable and boring. hell, i’d even go as far as saying i like gen 1 better, and that’s saying a lot coming from me.

i think they need to turn around and look back on what they were previously doing and take inspiration from that. i know people wanted something new or whatever, but this gen sucked imo.
why do you hate the pokémon

please don't say you hate zeraora or naganadel :pensiveazurill:

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
please don't say you hate zeraora or naganadel :pensiveazurill:
ok naganadel is literally a purple bee nothing cool about it and zeraora looks like a furry how fun

the pokemon are just so boring. other than maybe cosmog and popplio (and that’s a stretch because i barely even like those two), nothing stands out. i can’t remember basically any of the pokemon in gen 7. they’re all so unmemorable and i feel like the pokemon that came out in this gen have been done before and better.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Every new generation leaves less of an impression on me than the previous one. I think by Sun and Moon we've reached the point where I just sorta stare and blink at it a few times and five minute later I don't remember anything about it, and that's not entirely the games' fault other than there being "too damn many of them." I remember liking Sun when I played it, but a year later I sure don't remember why.

I've got to give them credit for trying new stuff though, even if about 80% of the new stuff falls in the "insufferable hand-holding" category. Just give us the option to take the batteries out of Rotom ffs. Also I'm the only person on Earth who actively misses HMs, no matter how cool the Charizard Fly thing is.

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
^ this does bring to question whether or not Game Freak is going to continue to omit HMs in future Pokemon games. LGPE certainly has a roundable way of going about with field moves, so maybe HMs won't be brought back sans for remakes.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
I liked SM but didn't care for USUM. SM definitely aren't my favorite Pokemon games, but they did keep me interested. The Totems, the trials, and the story were fresh and fun. I barely made myself finish USUM and have never touched the post-game. They ruined character development, the story is just generally a mess, and the new additions to the games aren't significant enough to ever make me choose them over the experience I got in SM. I'm also really not fond of what's supposed to be the big climactic battle in these games because the "difficulty" of it feels so artificial. I LOVE going into a battle that is made specifically so that you're way underleveled! How difficult and fun! That just isn't good game design, imo.

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
Gen7 was alright. I really love the fresh new take on the old formula of Pokemon games as far as main game completion goes. But once you defeat the Elite Four, it's pretty much like all other games.

The story suffers from the same things that XY did, but in their own twist. Most of it (or at least the most engaging parts) feel pretty contained to a small portion of the main game. And like XY, it can be easy to miss why things happen the way they do in one playthrough. It's a really good and deep story, I'll give that credit, but like... When you actually overthink it a bit after the first time playing it. It's just like how XY's mood was so much better set in a single Generations episode than the actual game. Both stories has a ton of potential to be much better than gen5, but they didn't quite nail it. Also, Akala Island is the lamest island to go through.

Gameplay was definitely really cool. The region is one of the best I've ever seen. So much to see and to explore. And the routes just feel so much more organic and natural. You gotta admit tho, this region also feels like the oddest to be in. It's still is really strange to have it split up in 4 pieces like that. I don't like the ride Pokemon too much, especially with their cheesy music... But I LOVE the convenience of Charizard Fly. Now I finally don't have to depend on having HM slaves taking up party slots. Z-moves, for as amazing and satisfying they are sometimes, can get pretty old pretty quick. Maybe if they were shorter, I'd definitely enjoy them more.

Okay... I really dislike where mega-evolution fits into all this. We had an entire generation dedicated to how amazing the thing was and they treated us by making it a fun quest getting all the stones. Here, most are locked behind Battle Tree. Big fail. I get that this gen is all about Z-moves and that they want me to at least try becoming actually good at battling... But I'm just not so invested in competitive battling and locking up something I love that way feels pretty awful. Why bother giving us a mega ring then if someone like myself won't be able to use it as much on my favorite Pokemon? Getting them is now a chore than a reward for me.

Overall, the game is alright. I played both Sun and Ultra Sun (definitely the more polished version) and they are pretty good experiences, even of they kinda left me wanting more out of them.

We're technically still not done with gen7 tho, but I guess you were referring to Alola.

Franciscosta

Communist Duck
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
IMO Sun and Moon are the best Pokémon games in a while. They feel significantly different from its predecessors, and added just enough for it to feel like a fresh version of a franchise that was getting stale quick. I was entranced by the game the following weeks, and played it considerably more than any Pokémon title after the fourth generation. As for USUM... that one was a disappointment. It added almost nothing to the previous games, especially compared to past remakes, and all-in-all, it felt inferior to the game it was supposed to upgrade.

Resolute

Paradiddlediddler
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
I feel like USUM should have been one game, not a pair. And they should have made more changes to actually justify and 3rd Alola game. :/

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
I really liked generation 7. It tried something new and I think it turned out well. There was some risk involved with changing the formula of Pokemon games but I think they did well to create a new style that emphasises adventure. Definitely, something fresh after ORAS and generation 6 left a lot to be desired. I like the Pokemon designs, character designs, story and subtlety of generation 7.

Team Skull is without a doubt the best antagonist team in the series for me.
Alola is one of the best regions.
The Pokemon designs in generation 7 have stepped it up a notch.

There's so much I like about this generation of Pokemon.

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
I'm quite a fan of this Gen, I must admit. USUM moreso than SM, but then I always preferred B2W2 to BW.

The starter lines were great (something that I can't say about 5th Gen), particularly with their interesting typings which is a trend that continued from XY. The Pokemon in general are pretty good, with Alolan Ninetales being a boss, especially if Aurora Veil has been set up.Team Skull had a lesser purpose as the Aether Foundation via Lusamine were really the bad guys of the game, even if it was for a more emotional reason rather than the apocalypse of previous games. That bait-and-switch was really well played.

I also liked how Cosmog was utilised so that although there were hints during the game that it was a legendary, the pay-off at the end was still awe-inspiring.

The Gen 7 games seemed more emotional compared to previous, they made you care about Nebby, and actually a few of the place names are based on Hawaiian words for emotions so it might be a deliberate thing. I don't mind that but I can see why it might not be for some.

Arceus

Prismatic Trainer
AKA
James, Chandelure
Time Zone
EST
I really did love this generation, though I guess not for all the most universal reasons.

First and foremost, I loved the breeding mechanics and availability of legendaries in USUM. When breeding on this generation, I've found that everything I want to get done is never too far out of reach. The inclusion of the Beast Ball and the return of apriballs as well has made my experience as a breeder a lot of fun. The USUM inclusion of all those legendaries with the freely purchasable Beast Balls made catching them a real challenge with a great reward (If you can't tell, I'm a huge fan of the BB design). On a related note, I found I was actually pretty ok with the SOS mechanic. To be honest, I've grown reliant on it for almost everything from EXP with Chansey to EV training in Verdant Cavern. In SM I never caught wild pokemon enough to care about the SOS calling mechanics they fixed for USUM.

As for the story, it was jumbled for sure, but I appreciate the direction they were going towards. I enjoyed the characters and I love what they did with Nebby to introduce the legendary pokemon early. In other games, I felt like the title legendary wasn't built up to well enough. Nebby gave me an emotional attachment like I never expected to the title legend when it finally appeared. On the topic of legends, I loved pretty much every new legend added to the series. Necrozma even ended up being one of my favorite pokemon.

For the region itself, I was a little taken aback by the changes they made to the established gym formula, but I still found myself falling in love with Alola. I'm not really at liberty to critique the execution of it, but I really love how they tried their best to incorporate as much Hawaiian culture as they could into the region, and not just what we perceive as the obvious stereotypes. No pokemon game has ever had me looking up this much about a real life culture like this one. My understanding is of course shallow, but I feel like gen 7 introduced me to things I may not have found by myself.

This came out longer than I wanted, but all in all, I really loved this generation. Like Brett said, they went out on a limb to try something new and I know I feel like it payed off.

Vesphira

=^.^=
AKA
Ves
Time Zone
EST
Like most have said, I hate the rotam def and sos battles. Also felt there were too many cut scenes in SM. Overall I really loved this gen though. ^.^

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Firstly I loved Gen 7 so everything that I say is out of love for Pokemon as a whole so I'm going to start with positives and go with negetives after

The Positives
The region is such a change from the other regions and it is just filled with a lot of energy and uniqueness so I love the game design aspects of that

The integration of the new graphics made the games look better than they have ever been. I mean people love the pixels, but this game was
astoundingly beautiful for the 3ds

I really liked the ride pager since it let me diversify my team a lot more, not needing a certain flying type or water type

The story was solid. I couldn't complain about the story in Sun and Moon even if I wanted to since it had character relationships take the forefront

Rotom dex was a neat idea. not sure how I feel about it though

The Tapus were such a cool idea! Like they might be the most ideal legendaries ever with their fighting style being so unique

The Negetives
I am not a fan of Z Moves. I don't like megas either and honestly the megas are probably a lot more unbalanced, but that was a gen 6 thing. It integrates a unique feeling to it, but I don't think it should stick moving forward. Like imagining Z moves in a remake of sinnoh is just hard

I did not enjoy Ultra sun and Ultra moon cause of the short time gap between the same story with a slight fresh coat of paint. It was hard to play through since I knew how it was going even on my first playthrough and that is just a red flag.

The internet features are clearly a step down from the gen 6 model. Like I really feel like they tried to do something different, but it was unnecessary and frustrating

The post game was just baffilingly undercooked. I really couldn't keep playing for too long since the battle tree can't really allow for that much enjoyment

The Pokemon were a mixed bag for me. Some great some awful. I hate the lack of speed in a majority of them though since they seemed to be more gimmicky and slow.

Ultra beasts. No. I mean I love the designs. I love the abilities. I love the concept, but what the heck. How is this ever going to work moving forward? Ultra wormholes opening in every region from now on? Or do we pretend they don't exist moving forward?

So overall I think this was a great addition to the Pokemon franchise as an individual generation, but honestly while comparing it to the other generations I feel like it tried too many things and didn't stick the landing on a bunch of them.